Looking at getting a Tamiya 1/32 Jet. Which one?

AlbertD

13 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

In my collection I like my Iranian F-4E the most as it took much more work and research to get it right.

Happy modeling

Nick

I like your IRIAF Phantom, although the super matt varnish has really deadened the mid brown in the camo tone too much.

The aft end of the Tamiya Phantom really annoys me though. They may have been working to Spey Phantom dimension for that.

I've been looking for a cheap ready-builtor scrap Revell Phantom off eBay to see if the aft jet pipe end can be grafted to the Tamiya rear fuselage.

Unfortunately as you'd expect, they all seem to be anything but Navy builds where the NAVY or MARINE lettering would help define those rear contours.

I've built their 1/32 F-14, F-15E, F4J and F-16 and the first three don't hold a candle to the F-16 kit. It's very good.

The F-15 is definitely the second place holder.  I would not even consider buying another F-14, its from the early 80's and looks it.

Ron

18 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

I've built their 1/32 F-14, F-15E, F4J and F-16 and the first three don't hold a candle to the F-16 kit. It's very good.

The F-15 is definitely the second place holder.  I would not even consider buying another F-14, its from the early 80's and looks it.

Ron

+2 to what Ron say's.

Don

On 5/30/2020 at 4:02 AM, LSP_Ray said:

F-16 is of much higher quality. Their F-4 series is actually quite dated and has some problems requiring quite a bit of AM if you want to make it right. The F-16 is great right out of the box, and can be a real jewel with a new cockpit and exhaust set.

I was also toying with an F4 but have only built the Revell offering into an F-4F, which turned out quite nicely. Is the Tamiya that much better but not top draw Tamiya, as it is aged but still commands top dollar:hmmm:

7 hours ago, Stevepd said:

I was also toying with an F4 but have only built the Revell offering into an F-4F, which turned out quite nicely. Is the Tamiya that much better but not top draw Tamiya, as it is aged but still commands top dollar:hmmm:

The Revell kit has plenty of flaws too.  Even with its flaws, the Tamiya kit is better and more accurate than the Revell kit.

For me, this decision should be based on which jet you like the most, followed by your skill level.  If you like all of the above candidates equally and doing heavy modifications is no fun for you, I echo the F-16, but also the Academy F/A-18.  They are both super kits and with the Hornet you will get a huge stash of extra parts that I use all the time in other builds.

Like the iconic F-4 Phantom better?  It’s still a good choice and not too difficult to tweak into something accurate, just like the nice F-15 kit.  F-14?  I agree with Jennings that this old Tamiya kit is, overall, better than the Trumpeter kit, since the newer Trumpeter is still full of flaws that require significant modifications.  The Tamiya Tomcat is a handful (I’ve built 2), but the shape of it is bang on the real deal and it can be made into a real beauty in the right hands.  In summary for ease of assembly:

F-16/ F-18 (tie)

F-15/ F-4 (tie)

F-14

One last consideration for your display cabinet.  The F-4, F-15 and F-14 are approximately 24” long and about 15” wide.  If your available space is less than that, you are stuck with the F-16/ F-18.

Cheers,

Chuck

9 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

For me, this decision should be based on which jet you like the most, followed by your skill level.  If you like all of the above candidates equally and doing heavy modifications is no fun for you, I echo the F-16, but also the Academy F/A-18.  They are both super kits and with the Hornet you will get a huge stash of extra parts that I use all the time in other builds.

Like the iconic F-4 Phantom better?  It’s still a good choice and not too difficult to tweak into something accurate, just like the nice F-15 kit.  F-14?  I agree with Jennings that this old Tamiya kit is, overall, better than the Trumpeter kit, since the newer Trumpeter is still full of flaws that require significant modifications.  The Tamiya Tomcat is a handful (I’ve built 2), but the shape of it is bang on the real deal and it can be made into a real beauty in the right hands.  In summary for ease of assembly:

F-16/ F-18 (tie)

F-15/ F-4 (tie)

F-14

One last consideration for your display cabinet.  The F-4, F-15 and F-14 are approximately 24” long and about 15” wide.  If your available space is less than that, you are stuck with the F-16/ F-18.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thank Chuck and everyone else. So far the only 1/32 kits I have built are 3 WnW kits, one Bf109 and my latest Hasagawa F4B-4. They are all tiny compared to a 2 foot F-4. As far as doing surgery goes I don't have a bunch of experience but don't mind a challenge and really tend to go slow and study a problem before I commit to cutting. I was afraid of it for the longest time until I decided I didn't really like the look of a colored PE set. I tried a resin cockpit. With a bit of work it fit like a kit part and some carfull painting looked good and was very satisfying.

A 2 foot F-4J would take up a whole shelf but it would sure make a great display with some squadron patches and photos of the actual plane. The other nice thing about it would be that it would take me months to build and provide a whole bunch of fun. It would give me time to do some good research and learn about the plane and some new modeling techniques.  Besides for me there is nothing like an F-4 in some nice Navy markings. I think I'm convinced that's the way to go. I guess I can always do the F16 later.

You guys are the best. Thanks again for all the insite.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:44 PM, AlbertD said:

I only have room for one LS jet and an thinking of either a Tamiya F-4J of F-16. I want it to be a centerpiece of my collection so I want to do it right from the start. Any thoughts?

If you are only going to build one, and are flexible on subject matter, the F-16 is the no-brainer choice.

It's in its own category among Tamiya 1/16 jets, IMO.

A lot of these kits are now rather old! 

Well, that absolutely beautiful OOB F-4J by Koralik popped up in the Ready for Inspection forum again and I had an emotional reaction and ordered one. Over the next couple of months I'll research other builds and see what's available in the aftermarket goodies. I plan to take this one slow and do it right.

I'll probably end up getting the F-16 eventually. You guys know how it is. We just can't help ourselves.

I just took delivery of my Tamiya F-4J. I have not had a chance to go through it in detail but it looks really nice. I have to decide how much if any aftermarket I want to get for it. I'm pretty sure I'll at least look for decals and seats. Any thoughts on a resin cockpit or engines? I see there are seamless intakes too. I see this as being a long term project and look forward to starting on it.

Personally, I think the cockpit is basically OK.  The seats need belts, and the cockpit is lacking sidewalls.  The kit can definitely use new engines as the kit exhausts are notably undersized.  Be aware that the Aires exhausts are also undersized.  The biggest problem with the intakes is the interior with the large step between the intake wall and the duct to the compressor being visible and hard to fill.  Intake covers or seamless intakes are recommended.  If you’re going to load Sidewinders, the Zactomodels D/G replacements are recommended.  The kit AIM-9s aren’t really accurate for any version, but appear to represent AIM-9Es, which weren’t used by the USN/USMC.

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Personally, I think the cockpit is basically OK.  The seats need belts, and the cockpit is lacking sidewalls.  The kit can definitely use new engines as the kit exhausts are notably undersized.  Be aware that the Aires exhausts are also undersized.  The biggest problem with the intakes is the interior with the large step between the intake wall and the duct to the compressor being visible and hard to fill.  Intake covers or seamless intakes are recommended.  If you’re going to load Sidewinders, the Zactomodels D/G replacements are recommended.  The kit AIM-9s aren’t really accurate for any version, but appear to represent AIM-9Es, which weren’t used by the USN/USMC.

Thanks Dave, that's just the kind of information I need. This will be a fun build and probably my biggest project so far.