1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

10 hours ago, Wackyracer said:

Masterful John, truly enjoy your posts and builds.

Its difficult to say goodbye to hours of work behind more plastic, plenty of photos are the best way to remember it by.

Aaron  

Thanks Aaron!  This area will be visible through the wheel wells although specific additions like the MG151 cannon will be difficult to make out.  Which is ok by me.  I just wanted to create enough dense detail to make the view into the rear engine area somewhat plausible.

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

I've seen you do it before, but filling those ejector pins in the wheel well look impossible to fill.  How do you have a tool to smooth those out, even if it's just punching out discs of plastic?

Matt 

I've made my own disposable sanding tools using small punched out discs of sand paper superglued to the flattened ends of wooden cocktail sticks.  The ejector marks are filled with liquid putty and sanded down using the modified toothpick.

IMG_3083.jpg

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

That makes sense.  Definitely just a tight spot with the raised rivets.  I'm guessing the sandpaper runs out pretty quickly being such a tiny piece, so I'm sure you go through dozens of them?

Matt 

I make em as the need arises.  Usually a couple will be enough for something like the wheel well part.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

I used to get spools of copper wire like that at Radio Shack, but no more. I need to grab some more too, but really haven't located a good source yet.

I got the copper wire from Amazon under jewelry making supplies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D54TM1G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, Pastor John said:

Fantastic work - love it

Thanks Pastor John!  Hopefully I'll remember to use your decals for the landing gear legs!

12 hours ago, Thunnus said:

I've made my own disposable sanding tools using small punched out discs of sand paper superglued to the flattened ends of wooden cocktail sticks.  The ejector marks are filled with liquid putty and sanded down using the modified toothpick.

IMG_3083.jpg

I've made them out of lengths of sprue and cut the sanding surface on differing angles, makes for a more ergonomic sanding angle and slightly bigger piece of paper. 

Cheers Bevan 

Great idea Bevan!  It's good to repurpose stuff that would otherwise be considered trash.

I decided to glue on the resin supercharger intake.  I used JB Kwik Weld since the thick consistency helps hold the part in place. It looks good from this perspective but due to the subtle curvature of the fuselage surface, the supercharger base does not lie flat.
IMG-1496.jpg

So I had to use some Milliput to fill the gaps and then Mr Surfacer 1000 to blend everything together.
IMG-1511.jpg

A shot of Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 shows the blend work.  Almost too smooth?
IMG-1512.jpg

IMG-1513.jpg

Ideally, there should probably be a seam line running around the base of the intake.  But I am afraid of trying to scribe such an irregular shape without it looking shaky.  Especially at the front end where I may not be able to fit a scriber.  I'll sit on this for a while and ponder what to do next!

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

You might consider making a paper template, then drawing the line with a pencil, after that area is painted. That's what I'd probably do.

Or use Tamiya's flexible white tape as a guide to scribe a panel line. It only needs to be deep enough to hold a wash. I've used this tape successfully in the past for tight curves. 

Cheers Bevan 

Very good suggestions from ya'll.  I have an extra resin intake (the Real Model D-13 conversion came with 2).  I could use that one to make a scribing template in thin brass sheet so that is another idea.  If I mess up, I can always re-fill and do the pencil thing like Kevin suggested.  I guess I have some viable options!  Thanks guys!