1:32 Hawker Siddeley Andover E.Mk 3A - 3D Print

Iain

1 hour ago, ctayfor said:

I have just caught up on this thread and I find it fascinating for several reasons. Firstly because my Dad flew HS748s for Polynesian Airlines in Samoa in the early '70s; secondly, because I enjoyed flying in the jumpseat several times, thirdly, because I worked part-time for Mount Cook Airlines while I was at University and their main airliner was the 748 then.

That's a wonderful background/connection - and you must have some happy memories of those days.  :)

I suspect you can still hear those Rolls Royce Darts spooling up!

Everyone I've spoken to that operated them seems to have fond memories of the type.

1 hour ago, ctayfor said:

Your attention to detail and authenticity is stubborn in the most positive way, your skills are well-established, but you are unafraid to expand them and to learn new tools and techniques as you go. You treat learning curves as adventures rather than as barriers. I look forward to this particular adventure reaching a successful culmination.

That's probably the nicest feedback I've ever had on one of my builds - mainly because you've summed up my attitude to models and modelling so well!  :)

'Adventures rather than as barriers' is an attitude I try to take: I don't always succeed, but I do enjoy the problem solving and the end result when you've thought something through and been brave enough to get the tools out.

I'm not sure about 'unafraid' though - there are periods where I waay overthink things - and have that perennial fear of messing everything up.

But, and it's been a huge 'but': the arrival of 3D Print and Design Technology at a hobbyist price-point has really rejuvenated my interest in modelling - and excitement at what is possible. Who'd have imagined large scale HS.748s and HS.780s just a few years ago?

On a similar vein have you seen the Boeing P-8A I've been playing with? :mental:

Have fun, and thank you for your interest and feedback - really appreciated.

Iain

You're right about the happy memories. One that stands out is one time flying in the jumpseat from Apia to Pago Pago one brilliant tropical morning. We were flying down a canyon of fluffy cumulo nimbus cloud and far below, the sun was sparkling off tiny whitecaps in a deep cobalt Pacific ocean. My father, who had been an RNZAF pilot in Bomber Command on Wellingtons and Stirlings, turned towards me from his Captain's seat and, with a dazzling smile, said, "This is why I fly."

• 5 months later...

Time for a long overdue update - I have been tinkering in the background - quite a bit of work, but not a lot of noticeable progress - such are the ways of a build like this.

Wings - surface sanded with coarse wet and try on my sanding bar - followed by a couple of coats of automotive grey primer - followed by a few coats of my favourite yellow filler primer:

48b427_bd13e59f78c448658ff07ff562dc05dd~

48b427_b638220f77e94279b31ffb95cfd46141~

Marks are where some slightly uncured resin (old stock - and may not have been mixed thoroughly enough) has bled through the paint. These areas have been scraped back to solid material using a small, round edged, scalpel blade.

These areas will then be filled with superglue and, once that's dried, smoothed off with a little filler.

This will be mostly hidden by the nacelles - but it's well worth stabilising the area to prevent issues in the future.

Other than that, they are coming along nicely and won't take much now to get perfectly smooth, ready for surface detailing.

Iain

Prep work has also been ongoing with the fuselage interior - smoothing print lines and the front/rear joint in preparation for paint and detailing.

48b427_94664fb82472479980d9502f749539f6~

Current plan is to assemble the two half shells, add the tail unit, and clean the joints before inserting the floor section, with internal sections, from the front afterwards - a little like a ship in a bottle! :)

Iain

With the wings getting there it was time to try out the new Dart nacelles for the HS780 designed and printed for us by Ladislav Hančar:

48b427_67fc8c783c474371afdfb0b4bd0e3f8b~

HS780 on the left, HS748 on the right - quite a difference!

48b427_4f93bf4067074975bd1abdd67fb2662a~

HS780 nacelle prints - port side upper and lower removed from supports - starboard side as supplied.

If you're not used to working with 3D Printed resin parts then all I can advise is take your time, use really sharp/fine side cutters, work methodically from one support to the next - and, whatever you do, don't drop them on a hard surface as they will probably shatter! Clean off any residual 'nubs' with a fresh scalpel blade and then true the surface with a good quality file.

Ladislav tweaked the fit of the original HS748 components to fit the One Man Model printed parts from photographs I took - and has got the fit incredibly close!

48b427_81dfcdbc64754a04850a2e683711e37f~

In these images the parts are just approximately placed in position on the wings - very pleased!

48b427_0fa729bf0003494899be06bca806d836~

48b427_36d466edfd3941a6b202db4826508912~

48b427_78be1bdca06448ffb25a95825b19cb5f~

48b427_3c49ecea75e74837b92497783d273487~

Some fettling will be needed, but nowhere near as much as I'd been expecting.  :)

Onwards and forwards...

Iain

More wing and fuselage prep this evening - and decanting that spray can filler primer into a cap so that I can do some pin-point filling with a brush - including some smoothing of the side window apertures..

Fuselage interior tube has been given a final coat of filler primer and, once this is sanded back, I'm going to spray the interior colours of White, Light Blue and Grey.

A dry assembly of the fuselage yesterday has shown that even with the rear and side doors open - it's only a few areas of the interior surfaces that will be visible - so I'm going to kick my usual OCD into touch on this and go for a 'looks good' were you can clearly see the surfaces and 'that'll do' (has to be said with a Yorkshire accent) for the rest.

This means that I may be able to get the Port and Starboard fuselage halves together - and the tail section bonded on in the near future - which will be a BiG step forward psychologically.

I'm back to not being able to put this one down at the moment - but letting things dry fully between filling and sanding means I have time to do some other stuff too...  :)

Pix when I've sprayed the interior colours - and I have the wing sections fully prepped and back into grey primer.

Iain

• 6 months later...

Appear to be on a bit of a Mojo roll with a number of projects just now - including the Andover.

Final priming/sanding of fuselage interior pretty well done now - and progressing on to the paint colours - white, light blue and grey.

48b427_4caef7af8d494faca899c1367c0fcbc7~

And tail:

48b427_ccd229ac30aa4e2c902ecbd832512b69~

48b427_6a04f0bc53cd458d9572bccad1b61524~

48b427_43f430a443fb4d0ba46794e0d641cf2b~

Blue skies,

Iain

Slowly, slowly, catch an Andover...

I think I'm inspired again because I'm confident I can CAD up anything I need now - so new flaps, undercarriage etc. will all be doable.

The Electra would make such a cool model - as would the P-3 Orion.

Iain

Oh Iain I am sooo pleased to see you working on this!!  I was just looking over mine again the other day and admiring the beautiful engines Ladislav did for us.

Did you get an Orion?  It is mighty impressive in 1/32...if you dont have one....you know you need one Lol

Great update

I haven't purchased the One Man Model P-3 Anthony - much as I like the subject I have waaay too many other stalled/planned projects.

Although, funnily enough, when I was chatting to the German Navy P-3 crew at Northolt the other week the thought did go through my mind again.

I *really* need to vastly improve on my complete lack of focus and squirrel like tendencies... :deadhorse:

Iain