Why you build what you build?

mozart

2 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

....... then where I was born and grew up, Machynlleth, the town that gives the Mach Loop low flying area its name I got to see the full RAF and USAFE inventories on an almost daily basis from a time when they weren’t all painted Grey. I think eclectic would describe it. Same goes for my music tastes. 

That's the BEST reason for an interest in and modelling fast jets Ade! 

Remember the RAF ad "when you were a kid, did you dream of becoming a chartered accountant?" or something like that?  No, me neither.  Wanted to be a fighter pilot, but eyesight and hearing put a stop to that.  Pursued a career in engineering instead, and always been fascinated by technology and design.  For that reason, I find pre-war aircraft too primitive - the sole exception being the MC.72.  The Mk.I Spitfire is very pretty, but feels a little dainty.  The two stage Merlin marks with the longer nose makes it more purposeful and even prettier, and when they shoehorned the Griffon into it and clipped the wings, it looked fast and lethal.  My interests aren't limited to aircraft however - I will build whatever takes my fancy, and in the stash are ships, tanks and cars.  Some have been bought because of a historical interest, or a connection to my native Norway, others have been purely on the aesthetics, and a combination.

Most of my builds are thematic in nature.  They are generally tied to either a historical event, time period or, in the case of aircraft, a specific pilot or crew member.  Part of the fun for me is researching the topic ; and I am sure a lot of us find joy in that.  I particularly like building models associated with the Battle of Britain, the Guadalcanal campaign, and the North African campaign.  I'd estimate about 65-70% of my builds are German; I like the challenge of replicating the very interesting camo patterns.  I also enjoy painting 1/32 or 1/35 scale figures as I find the challenge of painting the faces and uniforms to look realistic - or at least competently done.  Not all of my builds make it to the finish line, as I sometimes make a bad enough mistake in execution that recovery is not possible at all, or worth the effort to fix my **** up.  Fortunately that is uncommon and the amount of builds that I have "binned" is pretty small, and the dreaded shelf of doom is pretty bare.  Finally, I like to focus on one build at a time and rarely begin another project before the current one is complete.  Great hobby all around!

Ernest 

I are/was engineer.  Stages of technology (canvas and wire, aluminum, engines, etc) of aircraft over time.  The Bf-110g because of radar.  The Spitfire wing is beautiful.  The paIring of the Merlin with the P-51.  The Harrier and it's great grand child the F-22B.  I am also fickle and have a short intention span.  My kit stash is a whole can of probably expensive psychology. 

19 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Part of the fun for me is researching the topic ; and I am sure a lot of us find joy in that. 

Indeed so.   For me, at least 25% if not more of the effort and pleasure for any project is in the research.

But then sometimes it's a nice change to build something you know nothing about.  Although in that situation I usually find myself double-checking the bookshelf and searching the web, despite my intentions to just build the kit and never mind the accuracy. :)

Edited by MikeC

Interesting to read the different approaches, reasons and likes/dislikes......all part of being human I guess! I’m definitely a researcher, I have to know all about what I’m modelling. I’ve probably spent as much time trying to understand how Lightnings go together, the differences between Marks, the function and position of surface details etc. as I have building!  

Vive la difference! 

I used to build models in the 1970's, mainly WWII stuff as my dad flew with the RAF during it.  Then we both went up to Leicester Square to see a film called The Final Countdown with Kirk Douglas, James Farentino, Martin Sheen and Katherine Ross.  However the real star was the USS Nimitz and Carrier Air Wing 8.  Over 20 years later I travel round different model shows with the US Naval Aircraft SIG and even got to visit a few US carriers.  My biggest regret being the poor health of my dad who would have been awe struck standing on a flight deck or sitting in a fighter squadron's ready room.

Gull grey and white has accounted for 80% of my builds but I now have a 1/32 Tornado GR1 and F-104G Starfighter in the stash.

Interesting discussion.

Seems that for a lot of uf the kit choice is related to the way we became crazy about flying stuff.

I grew up near a small airfield in France who hosts gliders and flying clubs, at that time there was also a regular commercial line to Paris (with a Fairshild metroc, then a beech 1900).

There is also every two years a big airshow.

I was also use to see fast french airforce jet about the house as they come say hello to the airfield nearby or they where just following the nearby hills in low level nav's and training.

I guess that's what got me into it.

The funny thing is that there is no aviation industry close by in this area but a lot of people got into aviation (civilian and military).

I had my first kit when I was 10. Being in France, we had Heller kits available in every supermarket, toy stores and even in some small press stores.

I choose the plane I built because (without any order):

1) their shape catch my eye

2) they mean something to me

3) they are iconic airplanes

So when I look at my display stand, I build mostly french AF jets, US jets and allies warbirds.

- Corsair, Spitfire, P-51: they obviously fall in all 3 category

- unlimited racers after I went to Reno Air Races

- a Blue Angels F11 Tiger : when I was a kid the first comic book of Buck Danny I had was about the blue angels and they flew the tiger,

- Bell X-1 after seing the right stuff and seing Mr Yeager himself in a conference he gave where I work

- F-14,  X-15, Me109, Fw190 etc are for me in cat 3

- Mig-31, Mirage IV , F-4 Phantom: typicall category 1: gorgeous shapes

Ironically, I am now working on big passenger planes but I am not so much interested in modelling them. I have a Caravelle on the bench but I don't know if I will manage to finish it. I started it because it falls in the three categories and definitely I have something sentimental about this particular aircraft as there was one at the entrance of the small airfield near were I grew up. When I joined the glider flying club there, we use to go in, even slept in or on the wings. Until some political moron decided that was enough and had it destroyed. (under the excuse of safety...)

What a great subject.   For me, I try to stay off the mainstream when I build.  No kit decals, no Lou IV P-51D's or boring grey jets.    The best builds for me are ones that have a personnel connection but if not, something that is just a bit "different".

Some of my recent projects:

An AH-6C Littlebird helo, build with a great deal of feedback from it's pilot, who was one of the first Littlebird pilots assigned to the US Army's "Nightstalkers", 160th SOAR.  Prior to the Covid issue, I had hoped to present this model of "his" helo to him this summer.

A US Navy US-2B Tracker aircraft, to represent one that crashed at nearby NAS South Weymouth, MA back in 1978, killing both pilots.   I submitted a Freedom of Information Act request, learned an amazing amount of info about the crash (and along the way, had Flying Magazine do an article about this incident) and ended up being contacted by the son of one of the pilots.  He happened to be trying to research his dad's crash online and found a link to my build log with details of the crash report (including a picture taken of his dad's Tracker 30 seconds before it went in).  I ended up meeting with his family, learned a great deal about their father and presented them with the model.  Interesting fact - prior to my blog, they had been told by the Navy that the crash was due to pilot error and the Navy insinuated the pilots weren't adequately trained to fly the aircraft.  The crash report I handed them documented that the aircraft was actualy the cause.  It was horribly maintained at NAS SoWey, maintenance paperwork was fabricated and the crew was unfairly blamed.  These guys died when they steered their engineless Tracker away from built up areas and deliberately crashed it into a forest.   

A Bf-109G-6, found at wars end with a very unique late war paint scheme, including a grafted on wing in earlier mid-war greys.  

A UH-1H Huey to represent one of the last US Army Hueys flying combat missions at the end of the Vietnam War.  

An LC-130 Hercules, with scratch built ski's to replicate one that my now deceased father-in-law flew out of Alaska in the mid-60's.  It still resides on a mantle in their living room. 

Many others over the years but you get the general idea....

Mmm, yum, for me dears it's an historical interest to start with, and with loads of spice and flavour with a vibrant, multicultural flavour. I like to avoid the starchy European tastes which I find causes indigestion, severe bloating and constipation. I like to start with a rich traditional meaty base of choice WW1, add some WW2 North Africa and Pacific for crunch, and a sprinkling of Korea and Vietnam for added drama (beware if you have a soft stomach or reduced appetite), and maybe a touch of Suez or even Yom Kippur to add heat and adventure depending on bias and temperament.  Enjoy!

Government Health Warning: Avoid adding Iraq or Afghanistan as these may cause indigestion, stomach upset or other undesirable consequences.  Consult your local hobby shop if in doubt.

Edited by Peter Browne

On 4/25/2020 at 7:37 PM, LSP_K2 said:

I don't really research anything. I do look at photos, lots of photos, but no research as such, that's just never really been a thing for me.

I'm wondering how you differentiate 'research' from 'looking at lots of pictures'

Sounds like research to me!

:D

Richard