1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - DONE

Brett M

19 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

Freaking Wow!  You and Pig Fleischmann are the Archer decal rivet Kings!  Great job Brett.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! I have to give all the credit to Woody @Archer Fine Transfers on the rivets. He really did ALL the heavy lifting in designing these decals/rivet panels.

Now I’m looking forward to getting into painting!

Edited by Brett M

5 hours ago, Brett M said:

And, primed. A few spots for cleanup, but otherwise......looks good. Don't mind the wet towel, I was trying to keep dust down.....I wasn't spraying the model on it :ph34r:

_DSC9054

Wow, wow, wow.....amazing!

C'mon, Woody, how about a TBF??!

Just stunning Brett

21 hours ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

Superb!

21 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Wow, wow, wow.....amazing!

C'mon, Woody, how about a TBF??!

Just stunning Brett

18 hours ago, machine_marty said:

Great work Brett, following this with interest :bow:

17 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Way to see it through.  Good job.

Sincerely,

Mark

15 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Outstanding! 

I'm moving at a snail's pace on mine. Living alone, running a business in the midst of a re-boot and trying to have some semblance of a life is eating up all my time. 

Thanks all! Woody, I'm sure once things calm down, your -3 will pick up the pace and get finished up. 

More progress from today. Painted the area behind the engine that appears to be natural aluminum. Tamiya gloss back followed up by Alclad aluminum and a final coat of Aqua Gloss. I'll mask it off tomorrow. I also started on painting the darker blue....which the more I look at, the more I lightened it too much. But, I said that about my Corsair too and I liked how it turned out. Stay the course!

_DSC9055

I did some spray out tests on the styrene in back, you can see the different colors. I lightened up the sea blue with white, as the original color seemed too dark and almost close to black. 

_DSC9056

A nice close up up the rivets.....and then me seeing more areas to clean up. Macro sure shows everything!

_DSC9057

Comments, critiques, tips.....you know the game! 

20 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Good work on all the decaling!  Now that's it's covered with primer and paint, will the rivets be safe from any potential masking?

Matt 

Thanks Matt. I've followed Woody's instructions to make sure the decals adhered and melted into the gloss coat (sprayed with Mr Leveling Thinner), so I'm feeling pretty positive that they won't pull. I think he has some sample shots on his SBD-3 build.....

7 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Wow Brett!  That riveting is out of this world!

Thanks John!

Do be do.....I did some backtracking after looking over the primer coat. Quite a few dust spots, so I I practiced some fine sanding throughout the day, then re-primed those spots, plus over sprayed the blue I'd done. I'm going to add some red and green under it, to give a bit of tonal contrast (I hope). So for now, I did some tail work and fabric work. All the fabric areas were given a random coat of white and then on the tail, followed up with intermediate blue. Nice and patchy to start, which will get toned down as more layers and weathering go down. More to come throughout the week. 

Comments, critiques welcome! And, yep, I noticed the panel lines on the tail I didn't clear of film in the last picture...fixed!

_DSC9059

_DSC9062

_DSC9063

• Brett M changed the title to 1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - Painting begins
On 11/15/2020 at 11:57 PM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

I'm not sure what would be more impressive - the rivets or the price, which is the fly in the ointment. 

LOL, fair enough but only the fuselage would need doing as the wings and tail are flush riveted 

Brett, this is truly epic, and an RNZAF one too...:wub: