Italeri TF-104G Marineflieger - final struggle

Fanes

7 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

My vote's for something like this, stylish and clean.

That's a beauty!

It's a dilemma: doing a typcial (nice and clean) scheme would be atypical for my builds so far. Doing an atypical scheme (patched up and grimey) on the other hand would be typical for me. There's plenty of time to struggle with this until I reach the painting stage :D

HUD and instrument panel coaming

As mentioned before way Italeri depicted the coaming and everything in front of the IP is a little disappointing.

Some cutting and scratch building later:

728181-34859-46.jpg

Some sanding/smoothing is still necessary but I think you get where I'm heading.

The german Starfighters had an additional compass which isn't included in the kit. One of my Revell 109s generously donated one.

728179-34859-35.jpg

And my first attempt for the coaming:

728180-34859-25.jpg

I used the foil from a wine bottle which seems a tad too stiff. Can you guys recommend something else?

I’m going to be making some scoops for the many  “holes” on my Lightning Joachim so I’ve been pondering a similar problem. I’m going to try some thin brass.  The plan is to make a former or mould from Milliput or similar then “ease” the brass into shape over it. I had considered wine bottle foil but agree it’s a bit too rigid. 

I started working on the cockpit tubs by removing knobs and drilling holes to prep for the Anyz stuff.

729328-34859-99.jpg

The more I look at pictures in the DACO book, the more I realise that the Italeri side console's layout doesn't match the F-104G.

Correcting this goes beyond my scratch building skills. So I decided to not get involved and just detail what is there.

The consoles in the aft cockpit are a lot better.

729329-34859-24.jpg

One more thing can be seen on the right console: I scratched the cockpit light from stretched sprue, punched styrene disks and some twisted coper wire - you can compare it to what's in the kit on the left side.

That's it for now.

5 hours ago, themongoose said:

Heck, how much of the side panels can be seen in this jet anyway?

Not much I guess and they're not completely wrong. In reality the layout varied from country to country and from time to time.

So a 100% accurate cockpit will always need some scratching, no matter what.

The missing sidewalls are bothering me more, but that's another story :D

Sidedewalls

As stated above the cockpit sidewalls deserve a post for their own.

Long story short: there are no real sidewalls in the kit.

I added some detail to the inside of the fuselage but most of it will never be seen again.

732319-34859-53.jpg

I spent the rest of the day dry fitting and oh boy - it's bad (at least in some places)

The rear cockpit fits snuggly with some trimming.

732320-34859-68.jpg

To get aproper fit on the front tub some small alterations (read cutting away 3mm) from the front portion of the rear tub. The rear wall from the front tub is suppoesd to sit right on the side consoles which seem to be too long for the twin seater :mental:

1 hour ago, Fanes said:

Dare to articulate that thought Max?

Trying to make resin bits fit where they don’t want to Joachim, reminds me of my Lightning wheel wells only yours are somewhat more visible! Good luck with your “small” alterations. :wacko:

4 hours ago, mozart said:

Trying to make resin bits fit where they don’t want to Joachim, reminds me of my Lightning wheel wells only yours are somewhat more visible! Good luck with your “small” alterations. :wacko:

If it only were resin bits that don't fit - it's the plastic from the kit which is causing the trouble!

Getting a resin wheel well to fit into a vac form kit requires another level of courage ;)