A6M2b Zero

Greif8

Marking time while looking after my spouse who is laid out sick today with either the flu - or she ate something that did not agree with her; and our 5 year old foster daughter (who we are in the process of adopting).  I doubt there will be any bench time today and while the little one is listening to some children's music and coloring I thought I would post a build I did some four years ago of Tamiya's A6M2b Zero.  This was a very nice kit that had only two drawbacks.  The decals were not the easiest to work with and the undercarriage was more fiddley than it would have been had Tamiya not tried to make it a cross between a toy and a model.  I guess one could also add the rubber tires as well, but I thought they were ok.

The figure is the one that came with the kit and shows all the limitations of an injection molded figure vs a resin one, but it turned out serviceable.  The carrier deck is scratch built using left over "planks" from an old wooden ship kit that I built for my brother-in-law some 10 years ago.  Those were laid down on a  piece of MDC board that I then framed with wood.  I tried to get the deck color to look like a Japanese carrier deck circa mid to late 1942.  I wanted to show the aircraft a bit worn, without making it look ready for the boneyard so I kept chipping, fading, etc somewhat "middle of the road".

Enjoy!

DSC03348

DSC03339

DSC03321

DSC03318

DSC03308

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Wow! Ernest, that is a knockout! May I publish it on the website?

Kev

Hi Kev, thank you for the kind words.  You can publish as many photos as you want on the website Kev, I am humbled you think the build is good enough to post to a wider audience.