XB-51 Dragon

Dandiego

Here is the fuselage about 90% painted.

I have used 4 basic colors from the Alclad line. Airframe Aluminum, White Aluminum, Magnesium, and Stainless Steel. As these colors come out of the bottle they produce very stark contrasts between panels. I have painted different panels different colors and then have gone over everything with a mist coat of White Aluminum to diminish the contrast and blend everything together.

3s1chBN.jpg

xu06ozj.jpg

rd6twbe.jpg

rWVAG0O.jpg

eFQB3ZE.jpg

I normally use Post-it notes to mask off different panels, however regular masking tape can be used as well, except over the Airframe Aluminum. This shiny color does not like to be masked over. I have , of course, found many blemishes after applying the metal paints. These areas were re-puttied, sanded, and given another base coat of gloss black before the final coat of Alclad.

I have yet to rivet the fuselage. Why? I didn't want to do it before the gloss black paint because I thought I might then make the rivets disappear. I didn't want to rivet the black coat because I wouldn't be able to see what I was doing. So now that I am happy with the metal finish I will proceed with riveting.

7 weeks till Vegas....I just might have it done by then.

Dan

Some more progress, and one step back...............

I have finished adding rivets to the fuselage so it is time to glue on the engine pods.

GIdEAAe.jpg

However..... I got the pods on and they are not even. As you can see one is farther back than the other. Crap!

1AUMG0X.jpg

So, I have had to pull one off and move it forward. Can't believe that I got this wrong. Plastic is rather thin and I was worried that I would seriously damage the fuselage. But I was able to remove it with minimal damage.

Anyway, here are some overall shots. Masking has been removed from the walkways. A grey panel has been added to the top of the central engine fairing.

uzzDe2C.jpg

XEIYBDs.jpg

LRVrfIF.jpg

Overall shot of where I am now.

0L6Cj8Z.jpg

YhgIeOq.jpg

ymqky8L.jpg

Stay tuned, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

31 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Each time I see one of your builds, I'm reminded that you are a far braver man and builder than I am.  It looks fantastic on what I can assume is a huge plane.

Matt 

Thanks Matt.

"Huge plane", well it is 33 inches nose to tail. When I pick it up I have to be careful not to smack it into something. 

Dan

4 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

What a stupendous effort so far, Dan! It really looks amazing.

Kev

Thanks Kev.

Although challenging it has been lots of fun.

"Amazing", well I'm not sure about that. I would be more comfortable with "unusual ".

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Since I no longer have a deadline of Aug 18 to complete this I have slowed progress. But there is some progress.

I have build a rotating bomb bay from plastic sheet that fits into the opening on the bottom of the aircraft. Onto this I have added 3 3d printed racks. I then added some additional details with plastic sheet and assorted bits.

Y9yuroL.jpg

FM8lhFb.jpg

And with some bombs in place.

YCVQ9uB.jpg

Leading edge slats.

E7E5rTq.jpg

tXIYIc7.jpg

Slowly but surely,

Dan