XB-51 Dragon

Dandiego

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow Dan!  Spheres of steel is right...................cant wait to see this beauty take shape............and some NMF! 

Brian,  just checked my spheres........nope.

I haven't done a NMF since my F-90, over 2 years ago. So I will be pulling an F-84 from the shelf of doom and practicing on it. It already has the black gloss coat finished and hardening for the last year and a half. 

I will be trying several techniques to replicate a used and weathered metal finish. I will be starting this process very soon.

Next I will be scribing and riveting the xb-51. I just bought a new riveting tool and will be learning how to use it.

Dan

Ok a little work on the fin top bullet fairing.

This has been harder than it looks. I at first thought that I could just carve it out of wood, create a slot that would fit over the tail and be done with it. Ah....no. Too many variables, it just would not fit right or straight. So I decided to create the part on my 3D printer. I designed the middle section in 2 halves. This allowed me to easily define the fairing/ tail interface by simple sanding. I then glued on the wooden ends that I had already completed. Still lots of fine tuning to do.

CxlHbnr.jpg

P48FIzp.jpg

8ndvRcN.jpg

ebAmB1p.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Question for all of you modelers out there.

To foil or not to foil?  

I have seen many super impressive foiled jets here and on other sites  on the web. How hard is it to learn?? What is the learning curve??

This large slab-sided jet would be perfect for foil. Not too many difficult curves.

If I choose foil should I still scribe panel lines? What about rivets? What kind of surface is best for foiling?

Dan

If this one has lots of flat surfaces then I’d say you should foil it. That was the logic I used, started on the F-84G, and it worked well for coming up the learning curve.

I’m using kitchen foil and monalisa gold leaf foil glue now. Lots of cue tips and toothpicks. A little 91 IPA to dilute the glue 50/50.

Check out my F-84 build as 4 or 5 people posted up how-tos for me. Lots of info there. I as well as others can assist you along the way.

Gotta take my daughter to the winter dance now but i can add more or answer questions late night or into tomorrow.

I couldn’t agree more than what Kevin just mentioned.  Super cool efforts goi g on here Dan.  Love the primer on the beast.  I can see the great amount of efforts that go into it more and more.  This is one cool looking aircraft.  Thanks for sharing.  

Troy.