XB-51 Dragon

Dandiego

Thanks for all of the positive comments. Most of the construction is finished.  Details and paint still to go.

One holdup right now is the canopy. I cracked the one that came with the kit. So I will need to reverse engineer it and make a male pattern and make a new one. Can't really go forward until this is done.

Dan

• 1 year later...

Yes, I need to get my ass in gear. I ended up giving up, I could not get a good canopy. I think the oven on my dental machine was too hot, I bought an $80 machine from Michael's to try and finish the job, hopefully that will do the trick.

A small amount of work has been completed. 

After sitting on the SOD for a year I have actually made a little progress. The original gloss black ALCLAD base coat was still a little tacky after sitting for a year. Also upon close inspection I decided that there were many small blemishes across all areas of the fuselage and wings. So I sanded everything back down and applied Rustoleum Gloss black out of the rattle can. It has a very glossy appearance and dries rock hard in 30 minutes. A definite improvement over the ALCLAD gloss.

4RtzG6n.jpg

wS3hwEi.jpg

Biggest task completed was to install all cockpit components.

kIvYRSJ.jpg

8jNmRp0.jpg

Next was to fit the canopy into position. The small bulkhead at the rear was added and the back end was filled with Bondo. This will give a larger gluing surface when installing the canopy.

vgyUguz.jpg

Stay tuned, hope to have this completed by mid-August for Vegas.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Wow!  If the USAF had bought this thing back in the day, it would have been spectacular painted gloss black with red lettering like some of the early ANG B-57s.  Now that you’ve plundered the F11F kit, what are you going to do with it?

Tigger gives you 2 canopies in his kits.

Dan

1 hour ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Wow!  If the USAF had bought this thing back in the day, it would have been spectacular painted gloss black with red lettering like some of the early ANG B-57s.  Now that you’ve plundered the F11F kit, what are you going to do with it?

Small progress. I have designed and 3d printed the forward landing bay doors. These will have a thin piece of sheet plastic glued on to serve as the outside of the door.

GD4DJhY.jpg

Next.....since the base coat for the Alclad is black, I have added vinyl tape onto the black. This way when I spray the metal colors the walkways will already be taken care of.

Z8lDGtr.jpg

lxR1SZE.jpg

Top of wing with USAF given the same treatment. Thanks Brian!

4IYLpEs.jpg

Canopy faired in. Almost ready.

Nr9Kbgt.jpg

Later, Dan

Edited by Dandiego