Bf 110E-3/trop 2.(H)/14 North Africa - almost done

Fanes

2 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Really nice progress Joachim!

I kept reading yours and Max's comments about the belly panel not fitting as I couldn't recall any such issues on my build. I went through my pics and found that I had shimmed the lower insert panel. 

IMG_20190113_143326-L.jpg

This got rid of the step on either side at the wing root and the nose ended up fitting better too. 

I had your fix in mind but it didn't work out during dry fitting. In my case the upper fuselage and wing root was too wide.

The belly part is now fixed at the wing root with a lot of CA and I'll work my way from there..
Pictures will follow later today!

So - as promised:
The port side is pretty much okayish.

623808-34859-84.jpg

The other side, well it's more work for sure

623809-34859-21.jpg

That's the best I could achieve with spreading the lower part and  adjusting the wing root. Maybe it's not appearent in the pictures but it was a lot of work to get the fuselage to the point shown above. From there on it will be sanding, filler and rescribing but luckily the putty stays in the drawer!
I may have to add little shims to achieve a good fit with the wings but I'll try that later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's time to resurrect this thread from the dead!

Between work and my recon Spitifre there wasn't much time lately for this Messerschmitt.

But I was able to get some extra bench time during the last weekend and here's the progress:

The canopy was painted RLM02 on the inside and recieved a black base on the outside. Afterwards all the fixed parts were gleud in place and the rest is held in place by Tamiya tape.

655359-34859-31.jpg

Afterwards I turned my attention to the droptanks which aren't included in Dragon's nightfighter release.

I used two Hasgawa droptanks - one generously donated by @Lud13 - and the other one from my Bf109F-4 kit. Luckily the braces are included in my kit, so there's no need for scratch building those. The tanks recieved the Dragon mounting strap (heavily thinned down) and fuel lines from 0.5mm copper wire. The foremost panel line was puttied since it's not present on the original.

655360-34859-14.jpg

There are some small parts missing in the wheel wells but apart from that ithe Messerschmitt is ready for a primer coat!

6 hours ago, mozart said:

Glad to see this back again Joachim, Bf110s are too beautiful to ignore! Keep it moving on........:)

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I agree with Max, glad to see this one back

You are absolutely right! I noticed that getting the build finished until the end of the year will be a close call and my Spitfire is a very nice distraction :D

• 3 weeks later...

First paint

After several weeks with lots of other stuff I managed to start painting the 110.

Here's a quick spyshot from the bench after black basing with Tamiya X1 (cut with levelling thinner)

663936-34859-87.jpg

The gloss black shows about 100000 imperfections. It was the first time I really struggled with a Tamiya paint - everything from not sticking to orange peel occured. Polishing and sanding helped to solve the trouble but there are still some small mishaps and a little bit of dust showing.

Next up: painting the insignia and the code letters (graphics are already drawn, masks will be cut tomorrow)