Revell 1/32 Lockheed P-38J Lightning

Trak-Tor

I've decided to jump into the GB train with this old kit I have bought some 30 years ago.

45906015974_4624da43ba_b.jpg

I think I need to build this one as it was my teenage dream, but I have never managed to get to it.
But it survived all those years in my possession, so it deserves some attention.

It should be just an OOB build, as quick as possible.
Which means one year should be enough for me to finish it. 

:D

"My Dad" version is the plan, but I doubt the decals will be fit to use, so we will see.

Juraj

2 hours ago, BiggTim said:

Are you going for OOB, or are you planning to make it accurate?

Tim

I have OOB in mind, but maybe I'll try to improve some things.
I'm no P-38 guru though, so we will see.

I wonder how useful would the Eduard's PE interior/exterior sets for Trumpeter's kit be?
Anyone has an idea?

Juraj

Ok, well, it would take a much longer discussion to cover this! In short, the Revell kit has horrible raised (and inaccurate) surface detail, awful landing gear, terrible cockpit detail, and the front chin scoop openings are bad. The overall shape is pretty good, so the best success I have had was to sand the crap out of it and re-scribe, then close it up and make it a flight display, but that's your call.

As far as using Trumpeter kit AM, I'd say you might make use of some cockpit details, and maybe some gear bay stuff, but a lot of the other exterior stuff may not work well.

Your mission, should you choose to do it OOB, is a tough one. To do it accurately would be even tougher, but you certainly have the skill, so I'm excited to see what you do.

Tim

Edited by BiggTim

Juraj, I have this in the stash as well along with resin turbo/superchargers and the full Big Ed PE set.

After looking at the PE bits for the interior, anything will be better then what Revell gave us!

I've not investigated the exterior bits or gear bays but would assume its an improvement here too.

Plus its brass, so if you need to trim a bit its easy!