Antenna all made up, glued, and painted. Decals are on...there’s only 14 total so this was the easiest decal session ever! Microsol applied. Off traveling for a few days. Good time to let it dry. Clear coat when I return then it’s time to foil the exhaust and add the intakes on top of the engine area. Also, found the perfect size brass tube to make the pitot out of at the LHS this morning. 

IMG_5262-L.jpg

Time for the air show to start. I know many of you waited in line for some time to see it :piliot: To date this is my best effort for a paint job. There's one photo over the wing where you can see the reflection of the US Air Force lettering in the wing! All the little parts came together without me dropping 1 spot of glue on the finished paint. I've only got one problem and that's the front canopy. I think it's got dust on the inside of the canopy. At some point I may have to strip it and redo it completely. I tried to future it again and that hasn't worked. 2 out of 3 aint bad. It was fine after the primer so I'm lost as to what happened but it's recoverable. The rivets and panels look crisp I think. The decals are a mix of Kitty Hawk F-5F and the Tamiya F-4 Phantom from CamPro. They all went on sweet with no silvering. The paint is wet sanded to 12000 grit with a sponge. It's all MCW lacquer paint 60/40 with MrColor Leveling Thinner. I used BMF Chrome for the pitot, wing tips, and exhaust. I sprayed some clear blue and red in the exhaust to try and get some afterburner type exhaust look for the inflight pose. Here's a few teasers as an intro to the RFI page.

IMG_1664-L.jpg

IMG_1665-L.jpg

IMG_1666-L.jpg

IMG_1668-L.jpg

IMG_1677-L.jpg

IMG_1676-L.jpg

IMG_1660-L.jpg

IMG_1653-L.jpg

Many thanks to all of you who followed along and to everyone who posted suggestions, ideas, and guidance and support along the way. I've definitely made an improvement in my modeling skills throughout this whole build with everyone's help!

After looking at the gallery of pics I thought it might be neat to see the progression of the major modification to get the profile to really look like a T-38. Here's how the fuselage came together.

IMG_1737-XL.jpg

Also, I did make a mold of the nose before I finished it up so for those of you who expressed some interest let me know if you'd like a copy in the future.

Stellar.

I like how you documented this project and especially how you described the painting and color process. I learned a lot.

Too bad about the flecks inside the front canopy. It's probably happened to everyone. I've learned to completely seal the cockpit tub all around where it meets the fuselage interior in order to prevent sanding dust from working its way in during subsequent work on outside areas. Also I fully blow out the cockpit with (empty) airbrush at high pressure to get rid of any pesky dust that might be sticking underneath instrument panels, seats, etc before sealing the canopy.

Again, great job.

Looks amazing, Chris! Congrats for bringing it over the line in such outstanding fashion.

18 hours ago, themongoose said:

Here's a few teasers as an intro to the RFI page.

Actually, we prefer that you don't create RFI threads for GB entries, as they get their own entry in the dedicated GB Gallery thread.

Kev

31 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Looks amazing, Chris! Congrats for bringing it over the line in such outstanding fashion.

Actually, we prefer that you don't create RFI threads for GB entries, as they get their own entry in the dedicated GB Gallery thread.

Kev

I didn’t know that, thank you :D  Will keep it to the group build on the next one. I’m sure I’ll have another multi-engine build this year!