1:18 Hobbyboss AV-8B Harrier

patricksparks

On 7/31/2019 at 10:56 AM, A-10LOADER said:

Beautiful work Patrick !! How did you make the landing / taxi lights ?

Steve

I made a couple quick conical plug shapes for the reflectors and a couple lens shapes and vac formed some rough shapes and trimmed to a suitable length based on photos and added bits and pieces to the outsides, I used a chrome marker on the insides of the reflectors before gluing the lenses on.

Edited by patricksparks

Got her up on some feet today, finished the main rear gear, plumbed it but you can;t really see any of it !!! Layed down some wash on both to dirty them up, the photos I've studied show most Harrier's landing gear are pretty dirty. I made both main gear removable with brass pins to facilitate painting without having to mask around them.

9wvm3Pg.jpgHi1IQrp.jpgAr1ByLV.jpg9DZtNjy.jpgbkZZJ2W.jpg8cWuo8n.jpgYQO6kQY.jpg

Working on the Hobbyboss Harrier is like a chinese puzzle, you have to be careful putting things together too quickly as the kit was made to be a pre-assembled collectable originally. Alot of stuff inter-locks and traps in other places for no glue. You need to paint the intakes before the fuselage is assembled, the fan has to be painted then attached to the intake "bell" and put into the fuselage also you need to paint the forward intake liners and sides of the fuselage by the cockpit, it would be about impossible to get white paint on the inside of the outer portion of the intakes. Also I have opened the intake on the forward thrust nozzle fairings on the fuselage.obkYORf.jpgf2lGZFH.jpgnrxDzAZ.jpgx2ll7LS.jpg

Nice opening of that NACA duct Patrick. Iirc, that one provides cooling for the forward section of the engine bay (forward of the fire bulkhead that separates the hot section of the engine from the fan stages and forward nozzles). You may want to check the shape of the flange on the forward nozzle fairings; from memory they are not rounded as depicted by Hobbyboss but have straight edged facets. The flanges themselves look a little overscale too.

Are you planning on adding the closing diaphragms at the aft end of the nozzle fairings? They are found ahead of both sets of nozzles. If you are and can't find references, let me know as I'm sure I have something.

Keep up the great work - this is going to be a very good model from a kit that isn't making it easy. I'm wondering that perhaps if I could persuade Mrs Kirk that it was an ornate wine bottle holder with integral temperature regulation fan then maybe I could sneak one in the house.

Kirk