1:18 Hobbyboss AV-8B Harrier

patricksparks

Man i wish a GR9 could be made from this, i wouldnt hesitate in splashing out no end of money.. Stellar work, im waiting with baited breath at the finished article 

Hobbyboss have lost out here with bad planning.  Knowing this would be the only Harrier in this scale, all variants of the AV-8B should have been included in the box

Edited by Flanker37

On 6/29/2019 at 2:28 PM, Flanker37 said:

Man i wish a GR9 could be made from this, ...

There's not that much that is materially different. Sure you need to come up with a new nose cone, all the Zeus system lumps and bumps plus the small matter of a Martin-Baker Mk.12 seat. There are not that many out there who can recognise the different radio controller & standby attitude indicator fit on the US aircraft or the different positioning of a couple of the buttons on the grip.* 

Hell, send me the big Hobbyboss kit of parts and I'll make you a nose cone to get you started!** ;)

Kirk

* There are a few other odds & sods of cockpit differences and a few bits and pieces on the airframe.

** I might forget to send your kit back though. It will have a good new home.

• 2 weeks later...

Put in some vents today, aluminum tubing, 1/4" inside diameter, I put them in at about a 45 degree angle(best guess) There are 2 vents on the port side(see photos) and only 1 on the staboard, mirrored at the same position as the port one below the horizontal stab. Also by accident I came across a filler I have never seen before it is a UV activated formula and it works well. I super glued the aluminum tubing in place but I used the UV filler inside the fuselage halves around the tubes, worked great, I have a small fluorescent UV light that I used to cure it verses taking it out into the sunlight.

ZeLmtl7.jpgM9BhlYk.jpglNNHFZj.jpg0F3U2lV.jpgv3U5AIL.jpgPyfWG4c.jpgpyOhf71.jpgikQoq0w.jpgIXRF7GF.jpg

Nice work (again) Patrick.

Iirc, the vents are from the system that cools the avionics racks, the inlet for which is at the base of the vertical stabiliser. There's some kind of heat exchanger which connects to the equipment racks themselves.

I expect the B+ has got additional gubbins (highly technical term) in there relating to the radar systems (this is why they have the additional hooded vents on the forward end of the cockpit area) and I expect this explains the additional cooling requirement and thus additional outlet at the rear ahead of the ground power receptacle door (which incidentally I just noticed is missing from the kit. Forward  hinge edge of this is in the lower right quadrant of your leftmost red circle in the 1st picture).

I think the angle of the outlets to the skin is quite shallow but yours are certainly close enough for government work.

Thanks for sharing on the filler too.

Kirk