LSP_Kevin

Airfix News Just in from Telford: 1/24 Hellcat!

Picked up my kit at Free Time Hobbies yesterday and it looks fantastic. It'll be interesting to see what comes from the AM boys.

Chuck

We've been discussing decals.  The problem with massive kits like this is that decal sheets with multiple subjects (which is *OVERWHELMINGLY* what people have told us they want) are, by definition, pretty expensive with this much surface area to cover. OTOH, one or two-subject sheets are much cheaper to print (and thus, to sell), but overwhelmingly NOT what people tell us they want. 

I may break out my Silhouette and offer some combo sheets with small items like BuNos and other small markings silkscreen printed, and vinyl masks for the big stuff.  No clue what the price would need to be.

What do y'all think?

J

sounds good to me; masks seem ideal for a kit this big and with the typical large white geometric symbols and numbers carried

And honestly, on a 1/24 scale kit, even some of the geometric markings don't really lend themselves to stencil cutter masks.  They're just so huge.  They'd be much easier to do the way they did them on the real airplane - with strips of tape.  Some stuff can be done obviously, but some stuff will be easier to DIY.

I think Jennings in this scale people are more apt to use masks for national markings and maybe codes

The combo sheet sounds like an awesome idea!!

where masks just cannot play is in nose art or non-standard markings eg writing on side of plane etc

so my suggestion would be by all means do a set with ONE full set of national markings, but for your multi-subject sheet just focus on nose art to keep costs down.

personally speaking, in this scale there is no way I will use a decal code which has the film in the middle ie anything like an O, or a C where the film doesn’t hug the contours of the letter; I would go for a mask every time.

hope this helps and hope you do some subjects for this kit because your research, quality of decals and overall presentation is second to none.

Thanks for the plug ;)

The number of Hellcats with "nose art" is really vanishingly small.  And most of what there were were F6F-5Ns.  "Death & Destruction" off the Essex has been done literally to death by every single decal and kit manufacturer, and we have no interest in that.  But we're working on some others that are eye catching and/or have an interesting history.  We're still talking about it, so no promises on anything right now.

J

I impulse bought one at the local hobby shop...a store with a door (not on line)

$155.75 out the door...I’ve spent more on paint!

After a long wait, the 1/24 Hellcat has finally arrived!  MegaHobby is currently offering it for US$142.79, shipping included.

Okay fellers, Wally has been working his research fu magic, and has come up with some interesting stuff that we think you're going to find interesting!

I fell asleep at the switch and missed getting a kit from Sprue Brothers.  The only other ones I can find are ridiculously priced.  Would anyone be willing to loan me their kit so I can ensure all the bits fit it correctly?  I'll pay postage both ways, and you'll get a free set of our decals/masks!  Prefer someone relatively close (same side of the Rockies would be good) to Arizona so postage isn't outrageous.  I'll never build a 1/24 Hellcat, so don't really need one in my stash.  A loaner for a few days would be ideal!

Thanks!

J

After what seemed like forever,  I have received my shipping confirmation from the fine folks at Kitlinx.  :D