Is there a good 1/32 jeep? Update!!

BiggTim

I want to find a Jeep model to display with my 1/32 planes, but I cant find a decent one. All I can find are crappy die cast or plastic toys that would take a massive amount of work to fix.

I bought a 1/35 Tamiya Jeep, and it's nice, but it's about 3/8 inch too short, if I did my math right. I dont know if I can live with that.

Opinions?

Edited by BiggTim

I cannot say this is a good model of a jeep, but available on eBay these days are comic characters in a 1/32 scale jeep. All buillt and painted.

You might want to try one of these. Some have Laurel and Hardy, some have Beedle Bailey, sarge and otto the dog.

I have an extra one of these jeeps without the characters (I use the characters in my sculpture). 

For $10 I'll ship it to you. The sawbuck will cover shipping and packing.

If you like it, fine, you win, you got the jeep you want.

If the jeep is not good enough, you have just gambled and lost a ten spot. Win a few lose a few. 

If you buy one off of eBay or elsewhere I'll buy the  charcters from you for $10 total.

Its up to you.

Good hunting.

Stephen

I ordered one of the Testors kits to compare against the Tamiya 1/35 kit that I have. It was cheap, and will give me some frame of reference to see what is possible. Sounds to me like we need someone to make a good resin kit of a Jeep in 1/32. Maybe Model Monkey (Steve), or Radu? Anyone?

21 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

I ordered one of the Testors kits to compare against the Tamiya 1/35 kit that I have. It was cheap, and will give me some frame of reference to see what is possible. Sounds to me like we need someone to make a good resin kit of a Jeep in 1/32. Maybe Model Monkey (Steve), or Radu? Anyone?

The problem is, of course, is how one defines "good".

What is good for one fellow may be just fair to another.

Since these are so inexpensive you may do best by buying one of each and comparng them to one another.

I do not have that problem as I am not a fine scale modeler by any means. 

I use the "three foot rule".  If it looks good from three feet away it is good for me. The average arm's length is three feet so I do not have to carry a tape measure. 

Happy hunting.

Stephen:punk:

I didn't know we were allowed to use the J**p word without being jumped on by a posse of licence enforcers looking for gold fillings.

Tamiya would do well to reissue some of its 1/32 planes with a little vehicle, the way they did in 1/48.  I've always wanted a modern (1970s-1980s) USAF 4 x 4 tractor. Can't remember who made them; Dodge?  

You can also look at die cast. I have a few 1940s-1950s American cabriolets and a Jaguar E-type which are quite nice. 

Tony 

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Interested to hear how the Testors kit checks out.

Does anyone know if the old Monogram Jeep kit is really 1/35th or is it actually 1/32nd? Their tanks were 1/32...

186342-12858-pristine.jpg

Good question, Ray. I've never seen that one before, but I have a couple of the M4 Shermans in 1/32.

So the 1/32 Testors Jeep I ordered on Amazon arrived today, and let me tell you that it is one of the worst piles of garbage I have ever seen!! It would be less work to scratch build a Jeep than to fix that awful POS. Sadly, I also found out that the New Ray Version is exactly the same model, just comes pre-assembled. I also seems that the wheel base is slightly too long and too wide for 1/32, as well as something being out of proportion in the front end that makes it almost 1/2 inch too long overall. Apparently, it's so bad that when I went to return it, they didn't want it back. They refunded my money and did not require me to return it! 

The Forces of Valor Jeep looks a good deal better, from what I can tell, but they are much too expensive for my taste. I guess I may be using the very nice little 1/35 Tamiya Jeep after all!!

Tim