Herc loop

LSP_Ron

Wow. It looks as though it has gobs of power. I wonder what the margins for that kind of flying are and whether you have to hope and pray nothing fails when it's balls to the wall?

Impressive climb.

The crash below is horrible though. If the pilot does something crazy they end up killing an entire crew.

Matty

Guest Maxim
2 hours ago, Gigant said:

Thanks Ron!

I actually wondered if that was what the pilots were attempting a few weeks ago in Savannah, GA?

No that aircraft is a classic example of a stall at low airspeed.

Wow, I’ve never soon a Herc pull a loop off before! I did however read about the actual Herc that is being presented at Farnb. it is a new build airframe targeted for the civilian Aerial Fire Fighting market - after the show it will be ferried back to Lockheed and together with Coulson Aviation (from Port Alberni BC) she will receive her Coulson designed internal tank - a modular system to allow the bird to be configured for other missions.

Pretty cool piece of machinery - and, for the display flight I’m assuming she was stripped bare without and internal gear... 

Cheers

Alan

11 hours ago, Gigant said:

Thanks Ron!

I actually wondered if that was what the pilots were attempting a few weeks ago in Savannah, GA?

No.  And to insinuate that the deceased crew was trying to pull off some sort of unauthorized acrobatics is pretty messed up IMO. 

36 minutes ago, John1 said:

to insinuate that the deceased crew was trying to pull off some sort of unauthorized acrobatics is pretty messed up IMO. 

Yeah it's a touchy area. I know of a RAAF case where the pilot was blamed and it brought untold misery for decades to relatives. I knew someone who knew him or a family member of his and it even upset her just the mere mention of it. I think it was the denigration of the pilot that they felt the worst.

But then there was that B52 pilot who stalled it and ploughed it into the ground at Fairchild. A risk taker who ultimately killed his crew.

Matty

1 hour ago, John1 said:

No.  And to insinuate that the deceased crew was trying to pull off some sort of unauthorized acrobatics is pretty messed up IMO. 

My apologies to anyone that may have been unintentionally offended. I did not intend to insinuate anything or impugn anyone's character.:shrug:

9 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Wow, I’ve never soon a Herc pull a loop off before! I did however read about the actual Herc that is being presented at Farnb. it is a new build airframe targeted for the civilian Aerial Fire Fighting market - after the show it will be ferried back to Lockheed and together with Coulson Aviation (from Port Alberni BC) she will receive her Coulson designed internal tank - a modular system to allow the bird to be configured for other missions.

Pretty cool piece of machinery - and, for the display flight I’m assuming she was stripped bare without and internal gear... 

Cheers

Alan

Alan, amazing footage indeed, and it brought back another C130 situation, which went completely south, not because of pulling something like this new Herc, but probabely because of metal fatigue issues: remember that video of this Hercules, fire fighting tanker, which had both its main wings folded upward and tear off in mid flight while fighting a fire?...........to scare the hell out of ye!!

Edited by Jack

That L-100J is the company demonstrator for the "legacy" L-100 replacement. It has a carbon fiber wing box and those AE-2100 engines have a ton of power. I do not think the C-130E and for sure the MC-130 I flew could do that. I'm pretty sure they didn't have an igloo strapped to a litter stanchion for that demonstration.

The C-130A fire bomber that had the wing box fail was here at Kirtland about 2 weeks before that accident. It's sister ship was here as well. We had walked through both airplanes and talked to the crews. After that accident the other C-130A was towed into one of our hangers and they did a wing inspection and it was fatigued as well.

I work in the 415th SOS here at Kirtland with the MC/HC-130J. It's an awesome airplane that incorporates a lot of technology into the old 1953 airframe. They are still working on the TF radar for the MC and the AC-130J is coming online and it will be a lethal weapon with all of it's weapons. 

Cheers...Ron

14 hours ago, Jack said:

Alan, amazing footage indeed, and it brought back another C130 situation, which went completely south, not because of pulling something like this new Herc, but probabely because of metal fatigue issues: remember that video of this Hercules, fire fighting tanker, which had both its main wings folded upward and tear off in mid flight while fighting a fire?...........to scare the hell out of ye!!

Morning Jack - yes, we have recently been discussing this with a buddy of mine who flies the Coulson Herc tankers down in the US - very sad indeed - here’s the link: 

This was definitely as Ron mentioned above metal fatigue in the wing box. I can’t imagine what went through the crews mind when it happened? 

Edited by alaninaustria