1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress

tomprobert

• 3 weeks later...

Some more progress to report on the monster B-52...

I have finished off the out-rigger bays by giving them a coat of Zinc Chromate and a light weathering wash:

43804162871_476b6a7e68_z.jpgIMG_6890 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

There is a nasty mis-mold on my example, so this area of the starboard lower wing had to be corrected with some filler - it'll meed another skimming before primer:

29934261968_b1df0924ff_z.jpgIMG_6891 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The wings were glued together with poly-cement for an extra-strong bonding. Gluing such large parts together required lots of clamping and taping, and they were given a good 48hrs to cure properly. When fully dried, I cut out and made the leading edge landing light apertures as well as the intakes near the wing roots:

43804161541_903062b5a0_z.jpgIMG_6893 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

This underside shot shows the massive flap apertures, as well as the completed out-rigger bays and chaff dispensers to good effect:

29934259808_029262ee51_z.jpgIMG_6896 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I had a quick test fit of one of the engine pylons...

43804161021_946602b539_z.jpgIMG_6897 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

29934264238_913060b442_z.jpgIMG_6898 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The fit can best be described as 'interesting' and is far from Tamiya quality, but where's the fun in that?!

Tom

8 hours ago, Michael931080 said:

Wow!  Tom, you are truly making some progress on this beast!  Have you yet tackled the fuselage?

Not yet. I like to get the wings done first on builds like this to ensure the spars are all sorted, and I can then build the fuselage centre section around the wing spars to ensure structural integrity. 

It’s a process that has served me well in the past. 

Before I start the fuselage I’ll need to do the detailing of the flap apertures as it’ll be easier to handle individual wings than the whole airframe with the wings attached. 

The engines will be hung once the wings are attached to the fuselage to ensure the correct sit, etc. 

Tom

• 1 month later...

A slight deviation from my original plan: I've got tired of playing with the wings so have made a start on the fuselage. Due to it size, it's molded in four sections:

29515276747_33b87a0f67_z.jpgIMG_0239 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A nice blank canvass for some interior detailing:

29515277777_8d5033146d_z.jpgIMG_0242 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The join in the middle looks to be ok but will need plenty of reinforcing:

44453315591_cf7e07eaa3_z.jpgIMG_0243 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Obviously the wheel bays need opening up and I need to remove the area for the cockpit glazing. As you can see from the above image, the nose is the incorrect shape for an H model so there'll need to be some remedial work done here. 

Now it'll be a case of busying myself with internal bulkheads to add some much needed strength. And the question of whether to open up the bomb bay or not will need answering soon...

Until next time,

Tom

Hey Tom, I've been lurking about since you've started this thread and I'm watching your progress... Nice job by the way.  I have a couple questions if you wouldn't mind?

First, noticing that you reinforced those wings really well,  I can't tell from the photos but have you worked that characteristic "sag" from root to tip of the B-52 wing into your build?  It just wouldn't look right with a bolt straight wing from root to tip....  Yes, the outrigger wheels will normally be off the ground if the aircraft is light.  Having one on the ground and one off is interesting and from growing up on a SAC base, not uncommon based on what I've seen.

Second, are you planning a chrome-dome era B-52H or a later one?  The stubby nose kind of floored me as I'm used to seeing H's with the long, pointy nose.

55 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Hey Tom, I've been lurking about since you've started this thread and I'm watching your progress... Nice job by the way.  I have a couple questions if you wouldn't mind?

First, noticing that you reinforced those wings really well,  I can't tell from the photos but have you worked that characteristic "sag" from root to tip of the B-52 wing into your build?  It just wouldn't look right with a bolt straight wing from root to tip....  Yes, the outrigger wheels will normally be off the ground if the aircraft is light.  Having one on the ground and one off is interesting and from growing up on a SAC base, not uncommon based on what I've seen.

Second, are you planning a chrome-dome era B-52H or a later one?  The stubby nose kind of floored me as I'm used to seeing H's with the long, pointy nose.

Many thanks - and to answer your questions:

1) The kit does have a slight sag to the wing, so when I made my spars they followed the shape of the droop. It’s not a very large droop, but it is there. I plan to have it with one out-rigger wheel off the ground, just like the one I photographed at RAF Fairford last year. 

2) The kit’s nose shape is certainly closer to the earlier versions, so I plan to slice it off and make a new one with the more characteristic point of the later versions. This will be finished as a current day H model. 

All the best,

Tom