1/32 Me 262 A-1a/U4 Kanonenvogel Conversion

alaninaustria

10 hours ago, VintageEagle said:

Hi Alan, hiw did you do the chipping on the auxiliary fuel tanks? Chipping fluid? Looks very convincing! Cheers, Roger

Hello Roger, yes I used Vallejo chipping fluid applied via a small piece of floam. It was my first attempt at using the fluid. I primed the tanks first in Mr. Surfacer black primer, then Alclad II airframe aluminum followed by a clear coat (Mr. Color GX100 Super Clear III cut at 50/50 using Mr. Color Leveling Thinner). Thereafter the chipping fluid was applied and when dry (over night), I applied the black-out paint which was a mixture of Gunze Tyre Black, RAF Dark Grey and isopropanol alcohol. 

Give it a go - I’ll be using this newly learned technique in future builds!!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

Hello Alan,

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions incl. products used. I'll print it for future reference. With the variety of different primers, clear coats, etc. we have today, it is always good to have someone tried and documented a "recipe" that works so well. The result surely does look fantastic and convincing. I may also try to use this for wing root chipping. Chris Wauchop is using a silver pencil and it does look extremely good as well, but when I try the same method, the contours between silver and paint are always a bit blurred and not as sharp as they should be to really look like chipped paint. 

Cheers,

Roger