Aussie FAC in Vietnam. Cessna Bird Dog FINISHED!

ericg

scan0029_zpshg7ybnn3.jpg

That's a great photo! Really nice close-up detail not usually seen like all the antenna details and the sealant goop all around the windows. Wings definitely look white to me, like you mentioned and same issue you had, I could never find consistent photos showing white wings on the USAF O-1 FACs that I figured must be there on at least some since the other two FACs (OV-10 and O-2) definitely had white wings. This pic looks very clear that that one at least had white wings.

Excellent work again

That's a great photo! Really nice close-up detail not usually seen like all the antenna details and the sealant goop all around the windows. Wings definitely look white to me, like you mentioned and same issue you had, I could never find consistent photos showing white wings on the USAF O-1 FACs that I figured must be there on at least some since the other two FACs (OV-10 and O-2) definitely had white wings. This pic looks very clear that that one at least had white wings.

Excellent work again

Thanks mate. When talking to Mac today and in his emails he said that the flaps were white and possibly the ailerons. He is also a modeler so I think he would have said if the wings were all over white. I can see a slight difference in the tone of the wings vs the flaps and can maybe put it down to a possible re-spray in grey of the fuselage or wings making one appear darker than the other. Very confusing I guess and it is a modelling challenge that I am actually enjoying! Whilst trying to cross reference the photos I came across the photo posted below of the Australian based restored Bird Dog which sort of backs up my theory (as far as restored examples go) that at least the flaps on Mac's Bird Dog were white. Also this aircraft is one of the very few that I came across that gave me a decent look at the different location of the aerial and its mount before I got the latest pic from Mac. Trust me, everytime I open an email from him containing pics it is a heart in mouth moment lest there is a major change required to the model!

VHXVB_zps8unin1tk.jpg

I am still trying to track down decent pics of the small bump visible on the far right edge of the pic with Macs crew chief, opposite where the large aerial sits. It is noticeable in the pics of the Bird Dog that landed on the USS Midway. Although the pic was taken 7 years later than the period I am depicting I believe that it had the same configuration.

16517069661_aa60fc5309_b_zpst9aapt9q.jpg

Edited by ericg

Eric,

I've seen my fair share of realistic weathering, and yours is right up there with the best of them.

I'm more then impressed with how you made all those mat sections. the final results speaks for itself.

Joel

That small bump sure looks like the smash light (the anti-collision light). At least that's what is on your restored bird. By ICAO standards, all a/c have them, but in wartime they aren't always used (because nothing says "shoot me" like turning on your lights at night!)

HTH

Peter

Thank you gents.

I have been receiving further info from Mac and was pleased to find in my inbox today several write ups about some of his combat action in the Bird Dog. I will spread them out over the next couple of updates.

Mac was recommended for the Silver Star for one particular action although it was never awarded to him, instead receiving a Distinguished Flying Cross from the RAAF. I re-typed the Silver Star recommendation as the PDF as it was sent to me would not be decipherable in the format required here.

This was written by a LT COL USAF.

Flying Officer Macaulay Cottrell distinguished himself by gallantry in connection with military operations against an opposing armed force as a Forward Air Controller near Lai Khe, Republic of Vietnam on 10 June 1968. On that date, elements of the 2/28 Battalion, 3rd Brigade attempted to sweep a heavily fortified base camp and immediately came under intense enemy fire. Flying Officer Cottrell was airborne at the time and quickly responded to the ground commander's call for assistance. Arriving on the scene, he noted that the weather was overcast at 800 feet and the visibility was deteriorating rapidly due to fog and smoke. In addition, the friendly forces were within 50 meters of the enemy and unable to pull back because of their wounded. Although the situation all but precluded the use of tactical air, Flying Officer Cottrell realised that an attempt was necessary in order to keep the friendly forces from being overrun and requested four flights of air spread properly so that he could keep fire power on the enemy for an extended period. While waiting for the air support he continued to circle the area familiarising himself further with the situation and planning the order of battle. He was forced to remain below 800 feet and was constantly subjected to intense, accurate small arms and automatic weapons fire. Because of his outstanding planning and briefing he was able to deliver the ordnance on target as soon as the fighters arrived overhead. Due to the close proximity of the friendly elements, Flying Officer Cottrell completely disregarded his own personal safety and made repeated low, accurate marking passes for his supporting fighter aircraft. Flying below 500 feet now, and subjected to intense ground fire, he directed the fighters' ordnance with precision. When he expended all his rocket ordnance, he continued to mark the target with smoke grenades, often flying at tree top level. Although he was getting low on fuel by this time, Flying Officer Cottrell realised that the critical situation did not allow him time to brief another FAC. He therefore refused to leave the area and continued to mark the target until contact with the enemy was broken. An assessment by ground forces the following day revealed that Flying Officer Cottrell had directed the complete destruction of a well fortified base camp. Blood trails also indicated that heavy casualties were inflicted although the enemy removed his dead during the night. By his heroic actions and devotion to duty Flying Officer Cottrell prevented the enemy from overrunning friendly forces. He has reflected great credit upon himself and the Royal Australian Air Force.

Onto the build.

That small bump sure looks like the smash light (the anti-collision light). At least that's what is on your restored bird. By ICAO standards, all a/c have them, but in wartime they aren't always used (because nothing says "shoot me" like turning on your lights at night!)

HTH

Peter

It sure is. There is a small conical fairing around it that was leading me astray. I was reluctant to trust what I saw on a restored aircraft without further proof from period photos. After I finished in the mancave last night I thought through my earlier conversation with Mac and he did say that there was an anticol light on the roof opposite the aerial. On all of the period photos that I had of Bird Dogs around this time frame or later, only a light coloured protrusion was able to be made out which I intitially thought to be some form of streamlined radio antenna. It was only until I had a further look at each and every photo that I was able to piece together what I now believe it to look like. As Mac relates `The anti-col light had a cylindrical guard that came up level with the top of the light lens. This was to limit horizontal flashes but allow light to be directed upwards for fighter detection.'

Some photos:

In the most recent photo that Mac provided, it could be seen that there was something there (meaning that I had to put something there!!):

edit%202_zpsrzg2qn04.jpg

Of the photos that I had of the Bird Dog on the USS Midway, I was able to confirm that the object was at least round:

edit%203_zpstonvx1kn.jpg

Further examination of the photos of the above Bird Dog reveal a light, just visible as per my arrow.

edit%204_zpsbcqrjyyu.jpg

And going back and having a real good look at the photos that Mac first sent me proved my thoughts. It was in front of me all along, with the outline of the shape barely visible through one of the top windows.

edit%201_zpswcr5gkwa.jpg

To make the objects. I turned up a suitable taper into some thick walled styrene tube, and also turned some clear sprue to make the light.

IMG_5397_zps2vuid5sr.jpg

A quick tidy up and a dip in red paint and the parts are ready for application to the model.

IMG_5398_zpsp8bjmkoe.jpg

Looks the goods!

IMG_5402_zpsushudaro.jpg

Edited by ericg