Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

If you're talking about USAF airplanes from 30-40 years ago, and you don't have really (really) good photos of them from both sides, finding the crew names is next to impossible. I can tell you for a fact that more than one crew name on a decal sheet is fictional. I've used friends and neighbors a lot. Sometimes there are things that are simply unknowable.

Two Bobs included names on the Alconbury Gomers sheet. It was designed eight years ago and based on slides from Don Logan and I have every confidence that it's accurate.

Now, if it's the local ginger cat's name on a decal sheet and I don't know that does it really matter?

Well, some would say that's a fraud or defies trade descriptions; others, that it's harmless fudging. Personally, I'd prefer that the names are accurate or the instructions specifically state that some artistic licence was used due to inadequate references.

I refused to draw more than two of the Korat F-4C Weasels in 1/32 for GT as those were the only ones for which I had full names, aircrew left and groundcrew right, thanks to the crews involved. IIRC Two Bobs did all six and just left the ground crew side blank red rather than make ones up - good for them.

Tony

edited for brevity

Edited by Tony T

If you're talking about USAF airplanes from 30-40 years ago, and you don't have really (really) good photos of them from both sides, finding the crew names is next to impossible.  I can tell you for a fact that more than one crew name on a decal sheet is fictional.  I've used friends and neighbors a lot.  Sometimes there are things that are simply unknowable.

If I have a photo where I can't read the name, I'm going to put something there rather than leaving it blank.  Nobody has ever yet said a word about a made up name that looks like it belongs there, and I can also tell you I'm far from the only decal artist who has done that! :)

Thanks for your honesty Jennings; provided you clearly state that it's your interpretation or imagination, I'm sure most would be fine with that, including me.

Failure to do that will harm your reputation, as people will ask what other short cuts you might take. Yikes, talk about an admission!

Tony

One thing sure, Kitty Hawk merit our support for this 1/32 Scale F-5E Tiger II / RF-5E TigerEye / F5F Twin Tiger family of kits even if there

could be some (logical) parts missing on the first of these three kits and also because Kitty Hawk have other 1/32 projects like the

Mirage 2000 and a Northrop F-5A/B/C/D Freedom Fighter family of kits !

Plus, I am quite sure that KASL Hobby (Taiwan) will release in 2018 resin parts for these ‘'Tiger II' Kitty Hawk kits as they have already

done for the AFV Club 1/48 ‘'Tiger II'' kits :

Cockpits, Ejection Seats, SharkNose radome, LERX, Complete optional Fin with Fin Fillet extension, InFlight Refueling Probe, Various

antennaes, Detailed 20mm Cannon Bay, Air Brakes, FOD intake covers, Etc…

Plus the most probable Photoetch sets from Eduard !

2018 will certainly be for me ‘'The Year Of The Cat'' ! ( like the song )

:)

SharkOwl

One thing sure, Kitty Hawk merit our support for this 1/32 Scale F-5E Tiger II / RF-5E TigerEye / F5F Twin Tiger family of kits even if there

could be some (logical) parts missing on the first of these three kits and also because Kitty Hawk have other 1/32 projects like the

Mirage 2000 and a Northrop F-5A/B/C/D Freedom Fighter family of kits !

Plus, I am quite sure that KASL Hobby (Taiwan) will release in 2018 resin parts for these ‘'Tiger II' Kitty Hawk kits as they have already

done for the AFV Club 1/48 ‘'Tiger II'' kits :

Cockpits, Ejection Seats, SharkNose radome, LERX, Complete optional Fin with Fin Fillet extension, InFlight Refueling Probe, Various

antennaes, Detailed 20mm Cannon Bay, Air Brakes, FOD intake covers, Etc…

Plus the most probable Photoetch sets from Eduard !

2018 will certainly be for me ‘'The Year Of The Cat'' ! ( like the song )

:)

SharkOwl

If the decals options from the KH kit are to be believed, I would think that all of the various mods would be included in the kit. I say this because the two VFC-111 options would have the duckbill nose cone, wing root LEXs, chaff/flare dispensers, and RWR receivers.... basically a late model E. The remaining jets would be basic early versions with the standard round nose, no LEXs, no chaff/flares, and no RWR receivers. In addition the Mexican and Brazilian jets would have the fin fillet extension forward of the vertical stabilizer, even though it is not portrayed in the artwork. As a side note: The first orders of Brazilian E/Fs would have the fin fillet, while the former aggressor and 425th TFTS Tigers that they got from US stocks in 1989 would not have the fin fillet. In order for KH to properly portray each of the jets on the decal sheet, all of the options would need to be provided in the kit. Now what it actually comes with it is another story entirely! Fred.

I really love the look of the F-5 especially aggressor/adversary markings, and am planning to purchase the new Kitty hawk when it is releasd. I currently have 2 Hasegawa kits more or less in the final build stage.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use one of these to build an F-20? Any opinions?

Dan

I believe the USAF aggressor versions have radar whereas the NAVY counterparts do not.  Of course I read that a long time ago while the Earth was still green so that information may not be correct.

yes USAF Tigers had a radar scope in the front panel. NAVY ones not....

Nothing really, Luca. The new kit has more interior detail and features the original pointy radome and inner wing leading edge, which was adapted on the Hasegawa moulds to the later LERX and shark's nose format so is now scarce.

Subject to seeing the sprues - but judging by the markings options - I believe the Kitty Hawk has parts for the different versions.

And it's new - not a been there, done that kind of project.

Tony

The Hasegawa original release had the pointy nose and the normal LERX. I just finished one few months ago.....the Hasegawa kits are good....only failing is the positive lines (for some), the older seat headrest, simplified canopy mechanism....and lack of rivet details.....wrong panel lines and of course on the later boxings with the shark nose n extended LERX, the actual canopy does not have the vent port.

The plus points, the panel, the wheels, and the shape does make it a good kit in my opinion and the old released boxing had great marking options too which included the demonstrator.......hope kitty hawk gets the windshield area done well....

Rgds

will the KH kit be including this HUGE fuel tank? and further heavy weapons?

IIRC the CAD showed drop tanks and Mavericks, inter alia, but at this stage sprue shots would be especially welcomed. That, and knowing the price.

Tony

I believe the USAF aggressor versions have radar whereas the NAVY counterparts do not.  Of course I read that a long time ago while the Earth was still green so that information may not be correct.

Well..... that's not an entirely hard and fast rule. For the original group of USN F-5E/Fs, it is true, but for the jets that they inherited from the USAF in the late 80's, its not true. The easiest way to figure out which aircraft had what mods is reference photos. Failing that, the next easiest way is by the BuNo (serial number). Here's a breakdown:

F-5E/Fs with a BuNo starting with 159 or 160 before the early 1980s: round nose cone, no wing root LEXs, no radar, no RWR, no chaff/flare. AFTER the early 1980's: duckbill nose cone, wing root LEXs, no radar, no RWR, no chaff/flare.

Former USAF F-5Es with a BuNo starting with 71, 72, 73, or 74: round nose cone, no wing root LEXs, with a radar, no RWR, no chaff/flare. Now, here's where it gets a little tricky.... a number of the ex-USAF jets were reworked with the duckbill nose cone, and wing root LEXs as they went through overhaul. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Some got the mods, some never did. Reference photos are your only option.

Former USAF F-5F 840456: One of the last Fs built..... duckbill nose cone, wing root LEXs, with a radar, no RWR, no chaff/flare.

Ex-Swiss F-5Es with a BuNo starting with 76: duckbill nose cone, wing root LEXs, with a radar, with RWR, with chaff/flare.

F-5Fs with a BuNo starting with 76 or 84 (except 840456 listed above, currently VFC-111s CAG jet in my thumbnail pic is the only 84 BuNo) These were ex-Swiss F-5Es that were converted to Fs by mating the forward fuselage of retired F-5Fs 160964, 160966, and 840456 (so the story goes, I still need confirmation on this) to the rear fuselages of three ex-Swiss F-5Es: duckbill nose cone, wing root LEXs, with a radar, with RWR, with chaff/flare. As a side note: 160965 was not included in this program as it was involved in a mid-air collision with an F-18C several years prior, and crashed into the desert floor near NAS Fallon.

USAF F-5E's with a Serial Number beginning with 71, 72, 73, 74, 75: round nose cone, no wing root LEXs, with a radar, no RWR, no chaff/flare.

USAF F-5Fs 82-0089, 82-0090, 83-0072, 83-0073, 83-0074: duckbill nose cone, wing root LEXs, with a radar, with RWR, no chaff/flare.

So hopefully this clears up US aggressor and adversaries for everyone ;0) Fred K.

Well..... that's not an entirely hard and fast rule. Now, here's where it gets a little tricky...There is no rhyme or reason to it. Some got the mods, some never did... 

So hopefully this clears [it] up...for everyone ;0) Fred K.

:frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Tony