Newbie. 1/32 beaufighter questions and advise

Macky74

Welcome aboard, Paul!

:post1:

The Beaufighter has suffered, sadly, from a lack of attention from aftermarket producers, and there's very little available for it at all. Our own Derek Bradshaw was at once stage contemplating some add-ons, but I'm not sure if they're still planned now or not.

In our Jurassic Plastic Group Build, Bill is tackling one of these kits right now, and his thread is well worth a look for some idea of what you're in for:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=65261

As far as recommended books go, I'll have to leave that to someone more familiar with the type, but here's a list of titles from our database that have been tagged as covering the Beaufighter:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reference/list.php?type=beaufighter

Good luck with your build! Perhaps you could do an in-progress thread for us.

Kev

I'd chase down a copy of the SAM book. It's probably the best all around 'one stop' reference there is for the aircraft.

I heartily agree with Kevin. It's a little pricey, but well worth it.

Quickboost makes Hedgehog exhausts.

There's also this OOP photoetch set (I want to think it's an early Eduard, but I'm not sure):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-Beaufighter-Photo-etch-detail-set-ONLY-2-left-gone-for-ever-/111942747498?hash=item1a104ec56a:m:mW82t_UegHEVka1bX9ebVJg

I considered buying one, but the Beau needs SO much more.

I keep hearing the Revell Beaufighter needs a lot of work, but rarely any suggestion as to what these corrections actually are!!! OK, it is a child of the 1970's and technology has moved on but it would still be nice to know what is actually wrong with it!!

I keep hearing the Revell Beaufighter needs a lot of work, but rarely any suggestion as to what these corrections actually are!!! OK, it is a child of the 1970's and technology has moved on but it would still be nice to know what is actually wrong with it!!

Um not so much corrections as there just isnt much of anything present in the kit for the cockpit, rear station or wheel wells - all needs to be scratched? There is a very basic cockpit present but doesn't have much connection to reality.

Aside from that I think the basic kit shape is decent, many will want to re-scribe the panel lines as they are provided raised?

The only real problem is that the propblades are too wide in chord. Strangly Revell chose to kit a very early Beau with the heavily framed canopy of which not many were actually built.

It's a very good basic kit that you can really go to town with or build it as it is. Either way it will be impressive.

Cees

Ah, that's good to hear! When people say terrible things about a kit, I always picture wings in the wrong place, or nacelles too small, or gross section problems.

I might track another down to add to the one I have. A Silver black and yellow TT one would look cracking, I reckon! As well as one with rockets...