1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

evening ladies :)

If your next project is a big scale S6-B, can you please hurry-up finishing this one ? :popcorn:

Hubert

I'd love to see you tackle a f-14 or a f-15, they're my favourite aircraft, with the skill set you have anything you touch will be a masterpiece.

Hmm, finishing my F7F Tigercat is definately next and while I dare not plan what come after that for fear of distraction, I am pretty certain it won't be a jet (sorry) - all I do know is it will be bare metal and likely built before 1950..

Are you not missing a panel from the front of the cowl for the coolant tank filler?

you are of course 100% right Tony, I have not yet done that rocker cover access panel, partly because I have not quite worked out how to cut the circular panel out from the fiercely curved panel without $&*#ing it up - I will figure it out though in thenext few days :)

Thank you, yes, I am fairly sure I have amassed pretty much every published picture of Race #80 / TZ138 which is why I am so excited about the ones I now have from the Aviation Historian article, and the unpublished ones from the Philip Jarrett collection  - that said though I was sent one today of TZ138 outside a hangar when with the Canadian Cold Weather Flight so they are out there - thanks for thinking of me :)

..on to whats what - I thought the wing fairings could be plated without too much risk of damage so started with probably the worst part, right at the wing root..

used tape to make a template, but this needed a composite of a few bits as it was a horrible collection of curves... hard to see here, but it is the part between the cowl and the wing..

WIP876_zpswzvsrsvi.jpg

..after a few attempts I had the part partly licked into shape..

WIP878_zpsy7ymyv2p.jpg

..and in place, very hard to apply with contact cement as you need to start on aligning a straight edge and work outwards..

WIP877_zpsxxghutad.jpg

..I added a blister and panel that features only on this side and moved on to the next panel - the next one has a folded edge at the top, and all have very specific rivet / fastener patterns so included those..

WIP879_zpsh49y0fl8.jpg

.. after the next panel came the one with what I think is a ground power hatch - tape again for the template and I marked the top of the hatch position from a tracing of the plan - these panels on TX138 do not have the folded top and have bigger fasteners along the top, so again this was copied..

WIP880_zpsgzgsybht.jpg

..the basic panel riveted and with the PE hatch prepared a long time ago that I was thankful I had scaled correctly back then :)

WIP881_zpskfipnmry.jpg

..I even peeled the protective tape off the wings to see how it all looked together..

WIP885_zpsrjazxkxg.jpg

WIP884_zps1f2evoau.jpg

WIP882_zpstledcf7o.jpg

WIP883_zpsmcnvhbz4.jpg

more to do of course and think once the fairings are done I will move on to the rear fuselage around the camera port backwards, so any reference pics or drawings welcome :)

TTFN

Peter

Hey Peter - does the shine in the metal reflect enough for you to see my utter envy of you and all you stand for?

Good.

:innocent: :punk: :thumbsup: :bow: :clap2: :blink:

OH brother......Harv

Peter, I really can't say anything that hasn't already been said. It's inspirational, really. I think the only way to make it better is to somehow show the grime that builds up as a rivet or screw works its way loose. I swear I'm ready to send maintenance guys out to do a daily turn around for the next flight...

Peter