what putty is everyone using?

I use Bondo Glazing and spot putty available at most big box stores that carry automotive supplies. Drys quick, sands easy, polishes out nice and works with the technique of using acetone based finger nail polish remover to remove the bulk of your application to make sanding easier or to fair it in in places difficult to sand. Since I started using this I rarely use anything else except Magic sculpt when I have very large amounts of filling or need a long work time.

Edited by Old Dog

Guest Smitty44

I use Apoxy Sculpt primarily. It is a two part, water based putty that sculptors use. I like it because you can fill a seam then smooth it out using a q tip or your finger moistened with a little water. Most importantly it doesn't shrink when it hardens. I use Squadron Green on occasion also.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/avx1308.htm

Edited by Smitty44

Guest Peterpools

All I have ever used since coming back into the hobby about 6 years ago is 3M Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty #907 .. it's red and works fantastically.

Peter

• 1 month later...

If your "bodywork" involves extensive contour changes, you might consider "Supafilla."  Mix medium viscosity superglue with with an approximately equal mass of TALCUM powder (NOT CORN STARCH OR BAKING SODA).  The resulting substance sands easily to a smooth finish & feathers well, is readily scribed, dries quickly (you don't have to wait for it to "gas out"), and DOES NOT SHRINK (be careful not to apply more than necessary).  Auto modelers first concocted it years ago to do custom bodywork. Since it contains no solvents, you don't have to worry about softened or distorted polystyrene underneath it, and unlike straight superglue or superglue+baking soda, it doesn't get harder the longer it cures: you can sand it as easily after 15 days as 15 minutes. Best of all. . . it's cheap!!

Rob

The red putty is Bondo Glazing Putty. Use it for non-stress related filling. It cracks when stressed. Wear a respirator when sanding. The particles are as fine as sanded resin.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bondo+glazing+putty

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Vallejo plastic putty for small seams that don't subsequently need much, if any, sanding - anything greater than 1mm is no good, but it does mix with acrylic paints so it matches colours well, which is useful around canopies.

Larger stuff , I use Squadron green.