How much further can kit quality go?

Iain

Needing something positive to focus on, today I have mostly been fondling my Tamiya Mozzie that I acquired at Telford and have been giving it a really good coat of looking at (as my father-in-law used to say).

Now, I was expecting something special, but WOW - I'm blown away - what a thing of great beauty and design - and what a complete package in the box.

In the past I've thought we were getting near the limits of what could be done with a plastic kit - but I've just had to move those limits, in my mind, on a little...

Just where do we go from here?

My personal view is the next area for improvements generally in kits will be surface textures - like the 'oil canning' on the Airfix Typhoon - and, perhaps start seeing the fashion of recent years to represent all the rivets with tiny 'divots' in the surface develop further to portray raised rivets where applicable?

Then there are those overlapping panels - captured so well on Revell's P-40 kit of the late '60s!  Yes - *that* long ago...

Thoughts?

Iain

I think 10 years from now kits will make today's look very dated.

New technology and competition will see increasingly small details faithfully reproduced, whilst the uniform exterior finish that today's models have will be replaced with a more realistic, subtly done, "stressed" finish that real aeroplanes have.

Fit will also improve, so that Tamiya & Wingnut fit will be commonplace.

I'd also expect improvements in moulding - or it's replacement by new technology (3D printing perhaps?) - will see a decrease in part-count as far more complicated shapes will be produced.

I still don't think 3D printing at home will ever be as big as some claim - for a host of reasons - but you've flagged up another thought - parts count...

Will we see complexity/parts counts increase, or will there be a move away from this?

Interesting times!

Iain

What I predict is better surface finishes as Iain postulates, better engineered parts as Dean sees it, and a lot of new finishing products.

Chiefly, we need something that has the adhesion of CA glue but the friendliness of PVA, tap water diluted acrylic paints that are easily sprayed in a host of finishes (flat, silk etc), and ultra fine ink decals that are strong enough not to require any carrier film varnish, thereby eliminating the need for clear coats. Stencils would all be matt rub-down.

Oh, and all kits (are by law required to) have two sets of clear parts.

Tony

Edited by Tony T

I think we'll see more complexity to parts - but only to increase level of detail. Think of some of the throttles on today's kits... I don't think it will correspond to a decrease in parts count - imagine spending a fair bit of cash to find twenty or so parts in the box?

Maybe glue will be replaced. Place part A on part B, and zap it with the UV pen for 10 seconds...

Guest Peterpools

Seeing where we are and where we have come from, as technology improves, as well as the products we use, the sky is the limit. I sure I hope to be around to see the changes a few decades from now. Detail, fit and  accuracy will surely rule the day. Who knows, kits might be order directly from the manufacture, detailed and variant specific by order, as injection molding will be a thing of the past and the big guys will be producing kits by 3D printing or some new process that hasn't been invented yet.

I remember the old Aurora kits of the 50's, the awesome Hasegawa kits of the 70's and the rise of Tamiya as the century changed. Only better will be the future and only time will tel.

Peter

I think the most likely thing we'll see (or that I would like to see anyway) is a move toward using 3D scanning technology to accurately record the real aircraft shape and proportion. Maybe some companies are already doing this? In the architecture field, we're doing this more and more to build computer models of existing buildings before we remodel or add on to them. 

The way I see it, no amount of surface detail matters if the shape is wrong to begin with.

I think it depends on what us modelers are willing to pay. Companies monitor this and base their development on this. Why spend their moneys on development if no one will buy it. Just my .02 cents.....Harv

I'm already completely overloaded with what is already up for sale. I can't even keep up buying the kits, let alone actually building any!! But I think Jennings point about better research is a good one. It doesn't wind me up as much as some folks when kit manufacturers drop the odd clanger, I either see it as an interesting challenge for my modelling skills, such as they are, or I just don't buy the product. But if a product is a Brit subject, really top notch, and the passion of the designer shines through, I'm ready with my credit card!! 

Tim

Some great points everyone...

Technology-wise - new techniques have made some of the rarer subjects appear (I'm a big fan of short-run kits like Special Hobby) - and yes to scanning technologies - which I'm surprised have taken so long to be applied to the kit world.

Surface textures - subtlety is key - I agree that many things are currently overdone. Most aircraft I've ever been around have 'distressed' panels - but then we're back to the visible rivets discussion.

As Jennings said - technology changes - but a well calibrated eye and good research is still the foundation of a good kit.

Last of the few?

I think that's something we can, perhaps, influence...

Kids still love building and making things - especially models. They aren't exposed to them in the same way I remember as a child - where every newsagent stocked kits - and there were no computer based alternatives to vie for attention. My son - 8 - loves models and has a growing stash (thinks to people like wunwinglow  ;) ) but he's been exposed to it by me - and by visiting places like the RAF Museum at Hendon where Airfix regularly sponsor a 'make and take' during summer holidays.

He built an Airfix working 4-stroke petrol engine earlier this year - asked if he could take it to school - which (suitably boxed up) he did. Ended up being asked to do a presentation on it to his class - followed by having to present separately to Head Mistress. Apparently the kids were really inspired.

This year I've been 'volunteered' and am now Chairman of my local Scout Group - and we're looking at taking up the Airfix Clubs and Schools offer pack and getting the cubs and scouts building - it appears there's quite a bit of interest.

The modelling world *is* far smaller in numbers than it used to be - especially at grass roots level - but, just perhaps, there are still opportunities to get youngsters interested.

15 - 20 years ago many were predicting the death of the hobby - I think those predictions were somewhat overstated - it's changed - hugely - but I do think its still a long way from its last gasp.

Iain

I predict that 3D printing is going to revolutionize the hobby.  As I write this, there are people perfecting methods for making engines with crankshafts that rotate and pistons that reciprocate, even working valve assemblies -- kind of like those old 1/12 car kits of yore, only with much better fit and in smaller scales.  Not only that, there will be transmissions with functional gear trains.  The technology is currently being perfected and is just around the corner.  I suspect that these features will not be included in kits, but sold as aftermarket for those who dote on that kind of detail.

If you want to see for yourself, take a look at the Facebook forum called " Building the Trumpeter 1/16 Pz-IV.

Jerry Peterson