Here's a bit of an advance.
I managed to get the fuselage halves together. I sort of â€œconvincedâ€ it together a little at a time, the most difficult being the front, engine area. The motor is in there but the top won't be coming off to show the engine.
As Out2gtcha suggested, I tried my hand at re scribing. Not by choice but by necessity. Straight lines weren't that difficult but curves were a nightmare! Some of the lines turned out very sharp, others not so much but I think I'll get better with practice and it's a technique I'll keep working at it.
I ran into a problem with the underside air scoop. I had a huuuge dip or valley on the bottom and as you'll see in the photos, it took a big dab of Tamiyas' Light Curing Putty. Nasty stuff but it dries hard as nails, really fast and will fill ANY thing. You can see the results in the before and after photos.
It took me a while but I'm happy with the results so far and now ready to continue with the kit.