1/32 Me 323 Gigant announced?

Urs

12 hours ago, Radub said:

In the entrance foyer of the Tamiya HQ in Shizuoka there is a scale 1/35 diorama of a Me 323, with various vehicles and figures. It is big...

Radu

Makes me start to question just what Tamiya is smoking. This plane is totally unnecessary and all the effort could be much better spent nearly anywhere else. 

20 hours ago, fastterry said:

Hey hang on a minute Gazz, what's wrong with the Whirlwind, at least they made 100 of them and they have guns and bombs and stuff.

TRF

The Whirlwind was just another example of a non-mainstream aircraft...  first one that popped into my head.  I could have said Westland Wyvern ...  or my favorite oddity, the XP-67 Bat.

11ffeaa0392e3d868f0b565bebcae0e6.jpg

1 hour ago, Basta said:

Makes me start to question just what Tamiya is smoking. This plane is totally unnecessary and all the effort could be much better spent nearly anywhere else. 

The diorama in the Tamiya HQ contained a variety of Tamiya 1/35 German ground vehicles, The Me 323 was scratch-built. I seriously doubt that Tamiya has any plans to issue such a kit.
Radu

The Whirlwind had a longer career than the Airacobra in US service! So the definition of mainstream is quite relative. To me more than two years of combat service against the Germans over the channel is not really comparable with a single prototype that just made some test flights. However it is really a matter of point of view regarding the fact we are attracted by some planes but not by some others.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:23 PM, Basta said:

This is such a head scratcher. What on earth ever possessed them to think, "Yeah, let's do a ridiculously huge, ungainly and obscure WW2 transport plane in 1/32, it's just what modelers have been waiting for."

I honestly haven't a clue why they are doing this whale with wings. 

If manufacturers only produced kits of popular subjects, though, all we'd ever get is endless Spitfires and Bf-190's.

22 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

The Whirlwind had a longer career than the Airacobra in US service! So the definition of mainstream is quite relative. To me more than two years of combat service against the Germans over the channel is not really comparable with a single prototype that just made some test flights. However it is really a matter of point of view regarding the fact we are attracted by some planes but not by some others.

Yep , it's all about the coolness factor. Coolness is different things to different people.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:27 AM, vince14 said:

If manufacturers only produced kits of popular subjects, though, all we'd ever get is endless Spitfires and Bf-190's.

Well we all know that diversity is a virtue, and I agree with you on that sentiment. But seriously, aren't there any number of more worthy subjects available?

How many will you be buying for your stash? 

24 minutes ago, Basta said:

Well we all know that diversity is a virtue, and I agree with you on that sentiment. But seriously, aren't there any number of more worthy subjects available?

How many will you be buying for your stash? 

You would be surprised. The Whirlwind is one of the rare wartime RAF missing links with the Defiant and the Bleinheim.

31 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

You would be surprised. The Whirlwind is one of the rare wartime RAF missing links with the Defiant and the Bleinheim.

Thierry, I'm talking about the Gigant. I personally think that the Whirlwind would be leagues in front of the Gigant as a viable kit. As I said earlier, it makes no sense to me to do a Gigant. 

On 12/24/2020 at 6:08 AM, Radub said:

The diorama in the Tamiya HQ contained a variety of Tamiya 1/35 German ground vehicles, The Me 323 was scratch-built. I seriously doubt that Tamiya has any plans to issue such a kit.
Radu

Do you have a link or photos? Would be nice to see this :speak_cool:

regards

- dutik