Derek B

New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

I too recommend Burns' wee tome on the Toom.

Missed SAM F-4 part 3, but I think I have digital files of the pit figs somewhere if they're needed by anybody. I also have partial interiors in photographic form of the FG.1 plus regular and twin-stick FGR.2 ~ albeit circa 1992 when the interiors had become worn like old armchairs.

Two I'd recommend are the Double Ugly publications twins covering Brit Phantoms 66-78 and 79-92. Expensive but luverly.

Richard Ward's Phantom Squadrons of the RAF and FAA, published by Linewrights/Ad Hoc, is also a good 'un, as is the PSL/Haynes book by Ian Black, Last of the Phantoms.

Oh, and the F-4 was semi-monocoque. The skin, including the panels, were load bearing. The airframe could be distorted if hoisted incorrectly without most of the panels in place.

Tony

Excellent news! I have been planning on hacking the Tamiya F4J into something similar to an FG1 for many a year now, so will now cancel that. I can spend the wait on the Echelon Lightning, or the Revell/Fisher Hunter T8. Happy days!!

I too recommend Burns' wee tome on the Toom.

Missed SAM F-4 part 3, but I think I have digital files of the pit figs somewhere if they're needed by anybody. I also have partial interiors in photographic form of the FG.1 plus regular and twin-stick FGR.2 ~ albeit circa 1992 when the interiors had become worn like old armchairs.

Two I'd recommend are the Double Ugly publications twins covering Brit Phantoms 66-78 and 79-92. Expensive but luverly.

Richard Ward's Phantom Squadrons of the RAF and FAA, published by Linewrights/Ad Hoc, is also a good 'un, as is the PSL/Haynes book by Ian Black, Last of the Phantoms.

Oh, and the F-4 was semi-monocoque. The skin, including the panels, were load bearing. The airframe could be distorted if hoisted incorrectly without most of the panels in place.

Tony

I need to get nearly all of the books you have mentioned Tony, so thank you for the advice.

I would be interested in those images if that is OK with you?

Thanks

Derek

The R.V. Resin book of drawings (volume 2) doesn't seem to show any rake to the nose gear on the K or M, but I'm not sure how much faith I'd put in those drawings.

A bit of a curve ball, but was the NLG strut on the FG.1 angled back a tad - might just be 1-1.5 degrees - to partly compensate for the doubly-extended oleo ?

Probably just my imagination running wild.

I know the MLG are canted inwards by a degree or so.

Tony

Looking at these photographs, it would appear that you are correct Tony.

Phantom+FG+Mk+1+%2528F-4K%2529+XT683.jpg

2146257.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Hmmm... interesting!  Bears more investigation!  I can't see what that change got them though.

I would guess it has to do with geometry maintaining caster on the nose wheel when the double oleo extended.  It would be a real bugger to control with negative caster forcing the front wheel to want to do a 180.

The F-4 Nosewheel steering could be engaged or disengaged via a control column switch. It was normally engaged at the start of taxi until about 70kts in the take off roll.

If not engaged I am not sure if the entire system was disengaged or if it went into a centering or castering mode.

If it went into centering mode for towing etc either a gear pin or ability to disengage it would be needed.

If there was non centering mode I'm not sure what centering mechanism was used on retraction to ensure wheel alignment in the gear bay.

There are some great images on prime portal of the F-4K double scissor link set up when extended. Also the mechanical linkage from the pedals to the nose wheel steering/gear leg.

Edited by Darren Howie