Derek B

New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

And I wasn't aware that the UK Phantoms had received the big reinforcing strap across the belly either.  Hmm....

Any of you Brit types have any more info on that?  When and to what airplanes was it applied??

Contemporaneous with the US Navy J to S slat mod. It reinforced the wing box. USAF F-4Es got it with the slat retrofit (later F-4Es, built after Navy production had ceased, had thicker lower torque box skins, giving a pronounced "lip" in the skin aft, where it coincided with the MLG line etc)

Sorry to be vague. Maybe Derek has the technical order stuff. My guess is circa 1980.

Tony

Of other interest in the belly shot - the Aux Air doors are deployed while gear is retracted...

Another need of the Spey.

I would think that the kit would be base model leaving the belly strap to the AM market.

Barry

Hi Jennings - you seem to be 'the Man' when it comes to schemes for the forthcoming HK Brit 'Toom so may I put my pennyworth in and ask you consider the blue and yellow markings carried by the unfortunate XV428 CC when marked up as the 228 OCU display aircraft. I know she went on to crash at Abingdon in September '88 but she did look rather special even if was only for a short time!

All the best.

Steve S. - 'Phantom Phanatic' 

Derek, as the photo of XV421 above shows, we may require insider guidance as to which FG1/FGR2s went through the belly strap upgrade at Brough, and the time period.

Contemporaneous with the US Navy J to S slat mod. It reinforced the wing box. USAF F-4Es got it with the slat retrofit (later F-4Es, built after Navy production had ceased, had thicker lower torque box skins, giving a pronounced "lip" in the skin aft, where it coincided with the MLG line etc)

Sorry to be vague. Maybe Derek has the technical order stuff. My guess is circa 1980.

Tony

The RAF Phantoms underwent a 100FI Return To Works (RTW) programme throughout the 1880's and early 90's. BAE Systems Brough (then British Aerospace - BAe) in east Yorkshire carried out the work and the aircraft flew into and out of Holme-on Spalding moor initally, then RAF Scampton upon completion of the rework.

The RAF aircraft (FGR.2) were critical on fatigue life and were due for retirement in the early 80's. However, the falklands conflict dictated that their service life necessitated temporary extension whilst the development of the Tornado F.2 continued. The modified several things on the aircraft, but chiefly the main core of the modification was the strengthening of the lower mainplane with a machined steel butt strap in the same manner as those fitted to F-4S aircraft. Additionally, the outer wing pannels were replaced with new build items that provided an extra 25FI to the wings.

I worked as an aircraft inspector on these aircraft for this programme (Phantom YF-4M, FGR.2 and F-4J (UK) aircraft) for the removal, installation and 1st and 2nd line and bay servicing of the ejection seats, survival equipment and flying clothing from 1988 to 1991 (I also looked after the same equipment for Hawk, Buccaneer and Pilatus PC-9 aircraft as well) at RAF Scampton.

PhantomScampton001.jpg

PhantomScampton002.jpg

PhantomScampton.jpg

Derek

Not any more, and as it says on the Brit thread wonder how much the Cutting Edge conversion would be worth on ebay now? - if I had one it'd be up there already, going to be pretty much worthless in a few months...

Edited by Kagemusha

Of other interest in the belly shot - the Aux Air doors are deployed while gear is retracted...

I would have to check with those more in the technical know on the British Phantom, but I don't belive that the doors are necessarily only open when the undercarriage down on RR Spey powered aircraft. I suspect that other engine operating parameters may have an influence on these doors in flight as well, such as high power settings at relative slow airspeed, which is what you would expect as seen in the photograph as the aircraft approaches the top of its loop.

Derek

A bit of a curve ball, but was the NLG strut on the FG.1 angled back a tad - might just be 1-1.5 degrees - to partly compensate for the doubly-extended oleo ?

Probably just my imagination running wild.

I know the MLG are canted inwards by a degree or so.

Tony

A bit of a curve ball, but was the NLG strut on the FG.1 angled back a tad - might just be 1-1.5 degrees - to partly compensate for the doubly-extended oleo ?

Probably just my imagination running wild.

I know the MLG are canted inwards by a degree or so.

Tony

Good question T - I don't know the answer to that question, but I will see if I can find out?

Derek

The best selling sheets we've done were the NASA T-38s in 1/48, and the Vulcan in 1/144 and 1/72!

I am sorry. I always have take a look on 1/32 scale decals only. Now I´ve checked fundekals site again and discovered jets in other smaller  sacles there.

two of my books I have cover the brit F-4 very well.

The Osprey Air Combat F-4 k/M and the SAM Publ. overseas Phantoms

20151007_181919_zps6msvdchw.jpg

the Osprey book is one of my favorites...

20151007_181958_zps7tl6nprx.jpg

20151007_182013_zpsnrta0a89.jpg

20151007_182025_zpsmqnvgxy2.jpg

20151007_182045_zpsme3du8ce.jpg

The SAM publ book is much more modern and the brit Phantoms take a major part of that book

20151007_182151_zpsblq2mcg4.jpg

20151007_182159_zpsaz4hgeoh.jpg

20151007_182210_zpstgeepabk.jpg

two of my books I have cover the brit F-4 very well.

The Osprey Air Combat F-4 k/M and the SAM Publ. overseas Phantoms

20151007_181919_zps6msvdchw.jpg

the Osprey book is one of my favorites...

Nice books Menelaos...I must get that Osprey book :speak_cool:

Derek