Kitty Hawk Model 1/32 P-39Q/N

LSP_Kevin

So, I can finally post an actual modelling update, albeit only a small one. Taking my queue from the previous two posts, let's take a look at the radio shelf behind the pilot:

9hVyD5.jpg

As you can see, there are several nasty ejector pin marks to take care of, for which I used Perfect Plastic Putty. Simply trowel some into the depressions, then wet a razor blade, and smooth it out. I haven't had a chance to apply a primer coat yet, but that will tell me if it really is Perfect. Even if it's not, it should be good enough given that it won't be front and centre.

Here's what the accompanying radio equipment looks like:

L0EXwD.jpg

Even compared with the 1/48 resin piece, it's highly simplified. But as Martin's earlier photos show, the fit-out here varied wildly, so I'm really only planning to add some wiring as a bit of visual interest.

As you'll no doubt remember, the other area that was holding me up was the cannon shell cartridge belt, which I've now finally completed:

ybZTPQ.jpg

It looks a bit ropey up close, and we all know how unflattering the macro lens can be to what we think is our finest work. Those yellow stripes were really difficult to paint! If we zoom out a bit, the effect is better:

eN8DRq.jpg

Note that I ended up not using the broken bit, but this fact should be hidden in the fuselage:

CnIIL3.jpg

At this stage I couldn't resist a test-fit into the fuselage:

sjCgfM.jpg

Surprisingly few issues, other than the challenge presented by the nasty twist at the aft-end of the internal structure:

QF1nmx.jpg

I don't think this will hold me up for too long. It has reminded me, though, that there are a few other internal bits that I need to attend to before I can close up the fuselage for real. Plenty more to do yet!

Kev

Thanks, guys! Your kinds words are much appreciated. I'll try to make some more progress this weekend, but as usual, I have a few things competing for my bench time. Still in the final stages of man-flu, though I've been taken off life-support. Need to get a review done this weekend, along with another update.

Kev

So, I can finally post an actual modelling update, albeit only a small one. Taking my queue from the previous two posts, let's take a look at the radio shelf behind the pilot:

9hVyD5.jpg

As you can see, there are several nasty ejector pin marks to take care of, for which I used Perfect Plastic Putty. Simply trowel some into the depressions, then wet a razor blade, and smooth it out. I haven't had a chance to apply a primer coat yet, but that will tell me if it really is Perfect. Even if it's not, it should be good enough given that it won't be front and centre.

Here's what the accompanying radio equipment looks like:

L0EXwD.jpg

Even compared with the 1/48 resin piece, it's highly simplified. But as Martin's earlier photos show, the fit-out here varied wildly, so I'm really only planning to add some wiring as a bit of visual interest.

As you'll no doubt remember, the other area that was holding me up was the cannon shell cartridge belt, which I've now finally completed:

ybZTPQ.jpg

It looks a bit ropey up close, and we all know how unflattering the macro lens can be to what we think is our finest work. Those yellow stripes were really difficult to paint! If we zoom out a bit, the effect is better:

eN8DRq.jpg

Note that I ended up not using the broken bit, but this fact should be hidden in the fuselage:

CnIIL3.jpg

At this stage I couldn't resist a test-fit into the fuselage:

sjCgfM.jpg

Surprisingly few issues, other than the challenge presented by the nasty twist at the aft-end of the internal structure:

QF1nmx.jpg

I don't think this will hold me up for too long. It has reminded me, though, that there are a few other internal bits that I need to attend to before I can close up the fuselage for real. Plenty more to do yet!

Kev

Kev, Looks amazing all the way around. I hear you on the radio gear - I did some searching and there is just not a lot of reference material available so I can't imagine anyone coming up with any criticisms.  The nose work looks terrific too.  I do like the shells and your painting does stand up to the macro lens - I should be so lucky on mine!

BTW, have you dry fit the nose panels on?  I still need to work that 'fix' on mine.  Hope yours fits much better!

Looking forward to getting back home and getting back to work on my bird.  I should have a lot of time in July to make some good headway.

Kev, Looks amazing all the way around. I hear you on the radio gear - I did some searching and there is just not a lot of reference material available so I can't imagine anyone coming up with any criticisms.  The nose work looks terrific too.  I do like the shells and your painting does stand up to the macro lens - I should be so lucky on mine!

BTW, have you dry fit the nose panels on?  I still need to work that 'fix' on mine.  Hope yours fits much better!

Looking forward to getting back home and getting back to work on my bird.  I should have a lot of time in July to make some good headway.

Thanks, Chris. I haven't tried the nose panels yet - still working on the radio equipment shelf. Part of me is tempted to try to replicate some of the detail shown on William's resin part, but I think it's probably too late for that, and probably not worth the bother. We'll see what I can achieve without trying too hard!

Kev

Kev, the P-39 is really starting to look the biz!  The test fit shows that it is indeed going to be easily recognizable as a P-39 and your finish work is making it look that much better. Keep at it ol' bean.  :)

Paul