A-6 E aftermarket cockpit

gunner

I've been looking over the cockpit for my A-6E, it's really not that bad. That being said it would be really good if Harold worked his magic on some GRU-7 seats. Once they are installed, not much else to see. Come on Harold, get it done!

Chuck

Right after I finish a 'pit for the OV-10?

(just joking)

Edited by Harold

I've been looking over the cockpit for my A-6E, it's really not that bad. That being said it would be really good if Harold worked his magic on some GRU-7 seats. Once they are installed, not much else to see. Come on Harold, get it done!

Chuck

I'm gearing up to start the A-6E this weekend, and maybe I just have a different threshold or something, but I think the cockpit's really pretty good. Agreed that it needs seats, and a throttle would be nice, but it's definitely one I won't be rushing to replace with resin. Despite the giant cockpit aperture, I just don't see the detail as so bad that it's worth the clown fight of getting the resin pit to fit for a bit more kinda-visible detail. Especially when the IP is so nice.

Having already fussed with the downscaled Hobby Boss kit, that pit builds and paints up really nice (though aftermarket bangseats are still preferred): 

Hobby%20Boss%20A-6E%20Intruder%2005-30-1

Timely thread for me as I just today received a big box full of Trumpeter A-6E plastic. Looks nice!

But (as already stated here) I am a bit surprised at the lack of cockpit resin out there.

I'm gearing up to start the A-6E this weekend, and maybe I just have a different threshold or something, but I think the cockpit's really pretty good. Agreed that it needs seats, and a throttle would be nice, but it's definitely one I won't be rushing to replace with resin. Despite the giant cockpit aperture, I just don't see the detail as so bad that it's worth the clown fight of getting the resin pit to fit for a bit more kinda-visible detail. Especially when the IP is so nice.

Having already fussed with the downscaled Hobby Boss kit, that pit builds and paints up really nice (though aftermarket bangseats are still preferred):

Doog, your 48th cockpit looks really nice.
For my HB Tomcat cockpit in the same scale I thought the kit parts were fine after painting but I still believe the plastic version may look a little too flat for 32nd scale.  :mellow:

Hmm, I may give the kit parts a shot to see how they turn out. That is, unless Aires or someone brings something out before I get started. :)

The angles of the kit and aftermarket pit are completely off

Still waiting for my Squadron WA book on the A-6 but I will have to investigate this matter when I can.

Really wanting to get started on the kit but I am still a bit hesitant as I suspect someone probably will bring out the resin stuff as soon as the fuselage is closed up...  :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Early on, I was quick to sing the praises with regard to the resin Avionix/True Details seats. Others here were more critical, suggesting something was "not quite right."

Indeed, after further scrutiny, I came to a similar conclusuion. Although I would still rate them as very good, there is definitely room for improvement, particularly around the headrest area.

Here's a shot of my modification, a hybrid of sorts that combines the lower portion of the resin set, which I found to be very well done, with a new scratch built topside...

image.jpg2_zpsmywrbw7d.jpg

I think there is much more interest in the A-6E and that's what the likes of Aires were waiting for. I like the Echo version much better. I really do not like black nose A-6's but each to his own.

I think there is much more interest in the A-6E and that's what the likes of Aires were waiting for. I like the Echo version much better. I really do not like black nose A-6's but each to his own.

I hope that is true about Aires, although the kit has been out for some time now and there is still crickets.

I prefer the A-6A myself regardless of nose color since they saw the most combat. If you're implying black nose = A-6A, that's not a valid statement since A's could have black, white, off-white, tan, or camo noses.

Too bad those seats need modifying, great work so far though!

I just asked the Aires guys here at the Moson show in Hungary about any upcoming A-6 stuff.

If I understood their answer correctly they have cockpits and wheel bays in the works and the sets should be ready by this fall.

Sounds promising! :)

The black radome coating was replaced by white neoprene by mid 1968. A-6A and derivative Intruders flew with white, cream or grey-over-white radomes 1968-1976.

That era was about the most colourful, and a pre-TRAM A-6E cockpit would be pretty good for an A-6A too.

My favourites are the A-6B Iron Hand machines and pre-TRAM A-6E/A-6E MOD in the grey-over-white schemes.

Tony

• 1 year later...

I just asked the Aires guys here at the Moson show in Hungary about any upcoming A-6 stuff.

If I understood their answer correctly they have cockpits and wheel bays in the works and the sets should be ready by this fall.

Damn !

We're now in fall 2016 and still nothing in sight... That's a shame....

I just placed an order for both A and E sets from AoA, hopefully it can prime the AM pump !

Damn !

We're now in fall 2016 and still nothing in sight... That's a shame....

I just placed an order for both A and E sets from AoA, hopefully it can prime the AM pump !

Yes, a real shame. I have Harold's mk.5 seats for my A-6B PAT/ARM (same cockpit as A-6A for all intents and purposes) and was hoping Aires might have stepped up to the mark. I'm going to go the Eduard route. Too flat for some tastes, but wonderful trompe l'oeil effect with the canopy shut.

It's such an amazing pair of kits.

Tony