A-6 E aftermarket cockpit

gunner

The seats included with the Avionix A-6A cockpit, which are the one's sold separately in the links above, do not accurately represent any seat! They are a mix of GRU-7 and GRU-5 and many of the details are completely wrong for either seat.

This seems to be the consensus, both here and in previous postings on this topic. I must be missing something...

Okay...just realized I was using the wrong reference for the seat. Doh!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/Rbrumm63/imagejpg1_zps3042e386.jpg

;) Seriously, I do need to look into this more carefully. It wouldn't be the first time I missed something obvious!

And I really do respect the level of expertise on this forum, particularly Tony's and Dave's with regard to matters Intruder.

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

Well Crap! The kit is eyeballing me and it looks like I will wait for someone to come out with an accurate tub and some bang seats. Oh well, I might start up on the F-86D or the 1.24 scale Typhoon.. Too many choices and not enough motivation.... (Nice pics of leather seat Allthumbs)

Roofman, thanks for the intel.

Guest Peterpools

I do find it amazing that some kits grab all the AM goodies and others, just seem to beg for them. never could figure that out, especially with the A6's. :mental:

Peter

I do find it amazing that some kits grab all the AM goodies and others, just seem to beg for them. never could figure that out, especially with the A6's. :mental:

Peter

I wonder though how much interest there really is for the big A-6 in aftermarket, my guess is the market is pretty small (especially compared to more "famous" aircraft, modern or WW2 era). Had many people say it's too big/too expensive, no thanks.

I remember Eli had posted on here that his A-6A sheet was such a disappointment in sales he wouldn't do any more A-6 sheets. I thought that was really surprising considering the horrible kit decals. Unfortunately my decals have fared even worse in sales I'm sure than Eli's.

I'd love to see complete cockpit sets for both the A and E in resin - and also nice seamless intakes.

Guest Peterpools

Could be very true but how many potential buyers didn't buy because there was no AM to correct the front office and if you didn't buy the kit, all the other associated AM /decals went un-purchased. For almost ever build I do, I normally go with either a AM cockpit or upgrades like Barracuda. If they aren't available, I put off buying the kit, as I'm not a scratch builder and enjoy using AM upgrades. I'm fully convinced and I for one, would buy the A6A or E if a Aires set with the right seats and an accurate IP were available. Of course, it's nearly a $300 purchase and then the decals, wheels and we're really getting up there. Thinking about it maybe a MSRP of $250 and and a discount price of around $199 is pretty steep and just there and then a lot of buyers said: good bye just too much. I guess, just a sign of the times

Peter

It is a catch 22 situation with many kits.

I would have to sell at least 50 cockpit sets just to pay for the material, and another 50 to pay for my time. (I work cheap these days)

It would seem that there would easily be more sold, however, it is rarely the case.

I wonder too if the perceived lack of interest in the Trump Intruder has to do with the shear abundance of high-quality large scale kits appearing on the market in recent years, an embarrassment of riches really. As consumers, we LS modelers have never had it so good, in terms of choice.

The A-6 hit the market just as Zoukei Mura, HK Models, Tamiya, Revell, Hasegawa, and others were gracing us (and tempting us) with highly prized offerings of their own.

That said, I think there's more to come, especially now that the definitive Echo version is available. Perhaps then, the kit will enjoy a renaissance, of sorts.

In the meantime, if you're entertaining the idea of a leatherneck Intruder, pick up one of the AOA decal sheets and squirrel it away. You won't find a better product in terms of accuracy, attention to detail, and overall quality.

Rich

The AOA Decals arrived today-OUTSTANDING product! I have gone over the kit several times and all and all it is very nice. However the greenhouse is large and an aftermarket tub and bang seats would really take a build to the next level. Hopefully soon.

the pit is not so hard to correct yourself if you use harolds seats

It's all those dinky grey knobs / switches on the B/N's panels that are the problem - very three-dimensional. The Eduard pre-painted set looks pretty but is too flat under such a big clear bubble of a canopy.

If Avionix sold the tub and IP without the fictitious seats, at a lower price, I'd be interested. But my A-6A/B kit us likely staying unbuilt until Aries come to the rescue.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...