from XIV to XIX ..recce Spitfire . END of the story ...

alain11

Hi gents 

Today , is a big day for me ......I start my first WIP thread here . I am usually not keen with this kind of exercise  , but I have to go further in my LSP life .I know the level is rather high here , and I get the pressure , but I will try to do my best to be a LSP modeler ....

So , here I am up against the wall ...let's go 

As the title says , I would like ( try) to convert the " Pacific cost model" Spit XIV to the PR XIX recce Spitfire ( I wonder why no manufacturers dare to produce a nice Griffon engine Spit??, for now we only have the Paragon resin conversion , or the PCM kit which is nice , but a short run kit , but at last thank you to exist...... For me these Spitfire are the most beautiful Spit , elegant and powerful with their long cowl ...... )

Introducing : The PCM is not too bad at all, with some resin parts for the wheel bays and the cockpit etc...., details are not ..... "sharp" a la Aires , but the Spitfire cockpit is so narrow , that a lot of details will disappear . there is a nice decal sheet for 8 paint schemes 110.jpg

210.jpg410.jpg

A useful book dedicated to this version , with drawings , and detailed pictures , and of course "walk around " web sites 511.jpg  

First step, the wings : I usually start a built this way , it's a good preamble ( slowly but surely) .. Here some panels have to be removed , other redone, and at last riveted .....On the under wing , more work , holes to fill , boss , bulges to remove , and again new panels to engrave ,and riveting ...................

1110.jpg1210.jpg1310.jpg

that's all for today , 

to be continued and thank you for your interest 

Alain

Edited by alain11

Oooooh, my favourite Spitfire, and I have a PCM kit set aside for EXACTLY this conversion!  Alain, you doing a 389 or a 390?

I'll be watching this closely. Very best of luck, with the very best looking Spitfire of them all!!

Tim

Guest Peterpools

Alain

Excellent choice and surely will be a fascinating thread to follow. If I were Rosie the Riveter, I wouod think of retiring after seeing your work ... well done.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi 

Oooh nice!

thank you Anders, this , wouldn't be ...without your help  :mental:

Oooooh, my favourite Spitfire, and I have a PCM kit set aside for EXACTLY this conversion!  Alain, you doing a 389 or a 390?

I'll be watching this closely. Very best of luck, with the very best looking Spitfire of them all!!

Tim

Hi Tim

I am doing a 390 , it's funniest . I 'll be very pleased , if you get only a bit of inspiration from this built 

Cool, leading edge on the spit was double row rivetted on the 19 because of the tanks in the leading edges, if you need close ups I can take some for you.

These will help you

http://s536.photobucket.com/user/taylortony/media/Spitfire%20MKx1x/Tankbay1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=19

Hi Tony

It seems you are a Spitfire Expert , My built will not be perfect , I hope you will not disappointed

Once again your riveting skills strike me !

Hi Nicolas 

thank you , by the way .... did try and train  :mental:

Thank you all of you for your words of encouragement ....you know , I am a careful man , and I have to say that this WIP is not in "real time" ,especially for my first thread , I am ahead to it , so some little things wouldn't be fixed or corrected .But I hope you will enjoy it however

Alain

I would like to add something , or correct the title of this post( from XIV to......etc) .Does anybody could tell me how, please ...Thank

Far from it Alan, just have a Mk 19 parked in the next hangar to mine. :) I will take a picture if I can of the rivetting to show you, they are crammed in so close there is little metal there. Even I couldn't believe it and I'm an aircraft engineer.

The red coloured in bulges btw are the fuel pump fairings :) on the 19 the outboard fuel tanks apparently could be removed and a camera fitted instead in each wing to complement the 3 fuselage ones. :)

Edited by TonyT

hi 

I forgot to say that i'm very glad to see your first WIP thread down here ! :)

Nicolas , it's a real challenge for me ................... :BANGHEAD2:  O Kay , let's continue ....there are 2 different bulges or sumps on the under wings , it seems they cover fuel pump. the bigger one has a particular shape , not completely rounded , but rather " flattened " . the only way to get them , is to " sculpt" them .here is how it must looks like ....pictures illustrating this thread are from" spitfiresite.com"dsc06011.jpg.

dsc06010.jpg1410.jpg1510.jpg1610.jpg1710.jpg1810.jpg

to be continue , thank you for your interest 

Alain

Hi

The next step , and to finish it with the wings : the wheel bays are nicely cast , and take place easily , the join is sanding flush with the wing , and will be painted PRU blue...The upper wings are glued , and the barrels holes filled with kit parts 

1910.jpg2010.jpg

The radiators ( coolers) . Here again , no problem ,just follow the instruction . I added the flap actuators ( uselessness it will disappeared afterward) , and the L shape " probe" . The honeycomb  mesh is PE part from the kit ....This is the end of the first stage .....

thank you for your interest

Alain31bis10.jpg

3110.jpg 3210.jpg3310.jpg