Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco VMO-4

Out2gtcha

First up, a note on the instructions. There is a series of plastic and PE parts that comprise the upper turbine vent, both inside and out. Part I37 is the main upper housing for the vent, and goes on the outside, and PE part PE5 goes inside of I37.

The weirdness came on part I39 as seen in this pic:

DSC03717.jpg

The problem is that I39 looks NOTHING like that part at all, and doesn't fit in the cutout, and doesn't fit the look of what is displayed in the instructions.

What you need to do is use PE part PE6 for the back of the vent where it calls for I39:

DSC03716.jpg

After figuring this little minor inconvenience out, I could move on to finish up the assembly of the booms and wells.

The wells were painted with what the KH instructions call for which is camouflage grey. its discontinued by MM, but its a light enough color that in certain lights it actually does look white.

Not much did I do to these, other than to fill the prominent IP marks, paint it, and apply a bit of Flory models dark dirt.

DO be VERY careful when installing these however, as they are handed, and if you frog them up, the landing gear will not fit right!:

DSC03728.jpg

DSC03729.jpg

DSC03730.jpg

Now it was time to fit on the lower cowlings, hoping my earlier decision to glue these together on the booms before the turbines was a good one.

The alignment of the cowl doors is good, but you need to trim this upper right inside corner off of the inside trim edge of the boom part if you want to model your Bronco with the cowls closed. Otherwise the doors will not seat properly:

DSC03724_mod.jpg

I would also recommend knocking down the internal cowl door ribs too, just to make sure you have everything aligned, and there is nothing on the doors to get in the way of the turbine installation, or a flat seal to each other or the booms:

DSC03725.jpg

MORE....................

I got both of the inner turbine grates in. Haven't seen any pics of them installed, but I installed them here because it saves a ton of work and contrary to the 2nd pic, they look cool. The light is coming through the inside of the cowl door, but when dry fit there is not light, and things look much more realistic:

DSC03719.jpg

DSC03718.jpg

HERE and NOW is where the earlier decision to leave the firewall and turbine unglued until now will pay off. The forward upper cowl section is glued onto the face of the turbine inlet front....................so what I did was to leave my firewall and turbine as a single unit unglued from the boom, and then I glued the front cowl section onto the inlet to form a perfect seal there since the dry fitting had proven out how well the front cowl and firewall/engine fit.

Then I glued that unit below into the boom and instead of gluing the firewall, I let it float free and glued things at the upper cowl joint. This way, the cowl joint could be made as close and crisp as possible, since I was not going to pose the cowl doors open.

I dry fit each of the cowl doors 1 at a time, and used some extra thin CA and a cut needle to glue them in with minimal gunk on the seams:

DSC03720.jpg

With some minor sanding on the joints between the doors, and between the doors and the boom, I did the initial scary test to make sure the turbine fit in the now 2/3rds closed up cowl. 

BINGO.

Fits like a glove just setting there:

DSC03722.jpg

With a slight bit of finger pressure and some thin CA, the turbines were permanently glued in, no filler what-so-ever needed here either. I started sanding all the joints:

DSC03726.jpg

DSC03727.jpg

Thats all for tonight gents. Im on call this weekend and Monday - Thursday night, but If I dont get called tomorrow, Im aiming to have the booms and wings installed, and sanded smooth, so  I can begin the re-scribe process on those joints. I will also do any adjusting (knowing twin boom aircrafts tendencies to be uneven) with hot water, and/or hot air to correct. Not every kit is perfect nor is every modeler, and Ive borked up more than my share just messing up a single step like that.

Im not really in like with the wing attachment method here, but im reserving judgment until I try it for myself.  Ill let you know!

Cheers,

Hi Brian - Its been said but this is looking great - need more!!!!! :popcorn:

Thanks mate great build reference and you are really are not helping my bank balance. I think this has jumped up my must get list!!! :frantic:

Brian what happened to the Walrus - not forgotten I hope! I'm missing seeing her.

Taff :D