Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco VMO-4

Out2gtcha

Guy, Maru, thanks for stopping in on me. Today is my last day at work until next Monday, so Im planning on finishing the wing/fuselage scribing, and then might start working on getting the canopy and windscreen installed. There is a LOT of glazing on this thing, and I wanted to keep it off as long as possible to prevent any UN-needed scratching of the glass work.

Come to think of it, I might just start adding the rest of the bits left to add on the air-frame before I glue on the windscreen and can-O-pee.  :hmmm:  I am back on-call for Christmas week (lucky me :rolleyes: ) but have the 24th and 25th off, followed by the entire next week off, so im hoping I can get some paint on this thing before I go back to work on 1/5/15

Great build as always Brian. It is definitely larger than I would have thought based on the photos of the actual ones I've seen.

Im saving up to fix then sell my Si

That wouldn't be a Civic Si? If so, what year? I've had four of them; a 2000(still the #1 stolen car in Canada), a 2002, a 2006 coupe and the last one was a 2008 sedan. Loved the VTEC switch over.

Carl

Great build as always Brian. It is definitely larger than I would have thought based on the photos of the actual ones I've seen.

That wouldn't be a Civic Si? If so, what year? I've had four of them; a 2000(still the #1 stolen car in Canada), a 2002, a 2006 coupe and the last one was a 2008 sedan. Loved the VTEC switch over.

Carl

Yep Carl, as a matter of fact it is!  Im a devout Hodaite, and have had 7 of them including 3 Civics (two Si's and a daily driver DX) two accords (one a daily beater that was carbureted) a Pilot and a Ridge-line.

My current ride is a  V-tec 2004 Si hatch with the dash mounted rally shifter that they only made for those two years (2004-2005). I really LOVE it, and it drives like a dream, but want a Jeep, with an automatic, so am going to try to sell it out-right since it is quite a rare Civic, as Civics go, and is 100% bone stock with the exception of some tint on the windows.

If you know anyone who wants a bone stock 04 hatchback Si with the dash mounted shifter let me know!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Thanks guys!

A bit of progress tonight. I finally got some Rub-N-Buff, and went to work on the exhaust shrouds. I got the external shroud parts done, and assembled, and also the heat tube inside the shroud, since you can effectively see all the way down in it. I hollowed out the vent/rear end of the shrouds, so that made it even more noticeable, so Id recommend to anyone building the kit, to definitely at least paint it a dark color in there.

You can see here I have started on the weld seems on the inside and outside halves of the shrouds. These are just styrene rod stretched thin, but are still a really over scale still. I put some weld beads on the seams after blending them in, and they are still quite a bit too large, but think they still turned out interesting none the less:

DSC03773.jpg

Here I have the seams on, and started to blend with Tamiya filler:

DSC03775.jpg

After a ton of blending, sanding and smoothing, they were ready for some RNB. I applied the Rub-N-Buff with my airbrush thinned with Mineral Spirits:

DSC03783.jpg

You can see here the diff, before and after polishing. This will be knocked down with a nice grime wash, but still looks cool I think, and the weld seems, although still over scale, turned out to look cool as well:

DSC03785.jpg

Next up I worked on the wheels and tires. Since this  whole thing will be OOB and nothing really added, I needed to correct the stock tires, and get teh seams filled. The OOB nose gear tire that Kitty Hawk has presented here appears to be the side ridged "P-51D tail wheel" style tire. I shaved it down, then filled the center seam, and raised the exterior edges. On the main tires, I just laid down some Pactra tape, and re-scribed the ridged tire grooves.:

You can see here how the 1:1 tire looks:

ov-10b_18_of_51.jpg

DSC03778.jpg

DSC03779.jpg

DSC03780.jpg

Lastly for this evening, I worked a little on the flight surfaces. I also wanted a bit of a change here too, so I have chopped off all of the OOB attachment points that have the flaps lowered and both of the ailerons positioned up. I cut these off, and will position a loose "non-locked" control stick position, with the still a bit loose and ajar to the starboard. I also (just to have a different look than stock without building outside of stock) wanted my flaps up, as most all of the OV-10s Ive seen at rest have them up:

DSC03769.jpg

DSC03770.jpg

All for tonight guys. Off to Christmas week then!  Im on-call for a bit over the holiday, then Im off for almost 10 days, and Im gonna jam on this one!

Cheers,

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Nice progress on the smaller parts. Terrific work on the exhaust shrouds and certainly like the look of RNB, especially after polishing. Your sure have the 'eye' for catcvhing the small details and ther nose wheel tire looks the part.

Keep 'em coming

Peter