Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco VMO-4

Out2gtcha

Hey Brian.

Glad you went with your GUT and not fooled with the windscreen.  One thing I can say for the KH mold builders is they

have produced some of the thinnest parts I have ever seen both the canopy and airframe. Or maybe I'm just used to Trumpy.

Thanks for the gear door update and pics as they look GREAT closed up, very unusual as you say, but I like it!. 

Keep on Truckin'   

We are Right Behind You

watch'in you :frantic:

jack

I have used the paint through the canopy method many times................as a matter of fact its pretty much the only method I used to paint the inside color on canopies, since I really hate masking the insides of them.

Cheers,

I hear you Brian and I'm right with you, especially with that amount of glazing. Thanks for the quick response bro'.

Thanks Guy/guys! I have now masked the observers port hatch, and secured both port hatches around the edges using metal foil glue, so I get a nice tight seal, that is completely temporary. I will go over the top paint surface with alcohol before painting:

DSC03827.jpg

DSC03829.jpg

The OV-10D now looks kind of bottle nosed dolphin-ish..................but I love it and its really starting to look like something now, as I forged on and got the disco ball painted, masked and installed, then used damp tissue paper and liquid mask to mask off all of the openings. The cheek screen in each engine were busted out..............one on accident, and the other to make it balenced:

DSC03830.jpg

DSC03831.jpg

DSC03832.jpg

DSC03833.jpg

Back to work, as I may even have this guy ready to receive the cockpit interior color by tonight..........which hopefully will get applied in the next few days, followed closely by some pre-shading, then the light  MM blue-gray color.

Cheers!

Loic, Peter, thanks for looking in on me......................

Got down to business with some of the small details. I wanted a cleaner looking build, so I closed up all the side fuse foot steps, and scratched up a pilots foot step. I wanted a bit of a different look, but didnt want to get to off OOB:

DSC03834.jpg

I also moved on to other small things that needed to be done before paint, like the upper and lower landing lights as well as the front side marker lights, boom lights and upper and lower wing marker lights.

The OV-10 has P&S landing lights on the tip, as well as smaller square lights embedded in the wing on the upper and lower panels. These are just small squares for all of the marker lights, so I painted the undersides of them, glued them in with CA, then flush sanded them, re-riveted around them, and masked them off. I will mask around these when done, and shoot all of them with some Future:

DSC03842.jpg

The upper and lower main landing lights were just empty holes under the clear covers, so I added a backplate from card stock and glued in an MV lens that really does show up after the lens cover is on (same process was used on the lower one) :

DSC03835.jpg

DSC03836.jpg

No pics of it, but I also at this point, secured all of the gear doors temporarily in place with liquid mask. I also added another set of smaller MV lenses to the vertical tail marker lights:

DSC03839.jpg

Painting has officially begun!!!!

Cockpit color is up first:

DSC03851.jpg

DSC03852.jpg

After the cockpit gray was dry, I took the Bronco back to the bench, and did a little bit of pre-shade masking. I know a lot of you guys dont care for pre-shading, but I think sometimes it can add a nice look.

The way I personally do pre-shading is a bit different than most, were I dont like to free hand it, and use post-it notes to mask the panel lines that are on the leading edge of the air-flow for a cleaner look. I also use masking tape to highlight certain panels, and give a shadowed look to panels that I want to stand out. In this case, the shadows for the pre-shade highlights going down on the fuel tank panels and folded fuselage steps:

DSC03853.jpg

DSC03854.jpg

DSC03855.jpg

I am now ready to start pre-shading, then will move on to the main overall light gray color.  That is a fairly major process to start, and will start it tomorrow after a good nights rest.

Cheers till ur older!!!

Brian, great stuff !. You have such a unique building style.....Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv!

Looking very good, Brian.

How did you cut those perfect circles in the masking tape?

Cheers

Rainer

Thanks Rainer! It actually is nothing more than just Tamiya masking tape applied, and the panel lines picked out with a cocktail stick, then I just went over each circle with a new sharpe #11 exacto blade..................all done free-hand.

I found another little piece of joy before I sprayed the pit color on that I forgot to mention. After all of my apparent pushing on the canopies starboard side to get the starboard hatches to lined up and correctly positioned for painting, I cracked the @#$ing windscreen......................

Its not as bad as it could have been, the crack is only about 1/8th" or less, but its really there big time. Oh well, its there and permanent, so Ive just tried to not handle that area, nor push anywhere around it as much as I can.

I have the WORST luck with clear canopy parts!!!!!  Same type of thing happened to me on my SU-30 build, and happened on my B-25 build as well. No clue why I cant keep large canopy parts in tact.

Having learned lessons from this, I will be taking extra precautions when I start my A model OV-10 for sure.

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Some wonderful progress on the bronco and I took a lot of notes of how you do the small details and and pre-shading.

Keep 'em coming

Have a very happy and Healthy New Year

Peter

Hey Brian,

The Bronc is progressing nicely, and yes it does have a "Bottle-nose" look, especially without the FLIR installed.

Sorry about your luck with the windscreen and was wondering about them when I see how thin but rigid the clear parts are.

Looking forward to seeing her in the paint shop.  I usually pre-shade with a darkened version of the color and then come back

with 2 lighter colors starting in the middle of the panel. It's like panel lines, I prefer to use pencil in them, it's a  "Softer" look to me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

watch'in you :beer4:

Jack

Thanks Jack.  :D

Since I have this week off, I have been hitting the Bronc pretty hard. After getting the cockpit color on, I then masked off certain sections of the air-frame and panels with Tamiya tape and post-it notes, to create a different look, and get some shadows around some raised parts, and to give a bolder look to others.

I started to get the whole air-frame in the paint booth and damn well completely forgot that the wing tanks needed to be built and finished prior to any pre-shading or paint, as they are in the same 3 tone camo as the rest of the Bronco is.

There has been talk about the KH Bronco weapons, and how they are inaccurate on scale size and detail. The Zunis are a bit short from the 1:1 ship, but to be honest, I have not ever worried about any of the OOB weapons, as I was always planned on using a combination of FM&P Zunis, the OOB wing tanks with modified fins, and maybe something from the ZM A1-H weapons box.

The KH Bronco wing tanks seem fairly accurate in basic dimensions although I haven't scaled any drawings down, as I really dont care at all about getting that granular with it. Its close enough for me, but the main bug-a-boo with the wing tanks is the KH has the fins straight up and down, and they should actually be swept back a bit from all of the pics/documentation I have.

I got the tanks assembled, and made some new fins out of card stock. These are not 100% accurate in scale, size nor sweep. I just kind of winged it!  They are not perfect, and the sweep should actually be parallel with the body of the fuel tank, but oh well, they look the part. Its hard to tell here, but I did chamfer the edges a bit like the real thing, just not to the extent of the 1:1:

DSC03856.jpg

Fins attached, and shot on coat of primer, then a final smoothing:

DSC03857.jpg

Finally, I masked off the raised sections, as well as the filler/vent caps and pre-shaded them:

DSC03859.jpg

DSC03860.jpg

Next I pre-shaded the flying surfaces:

DSC03861.jpg

Since the air-frame color is a camo of 3 different colors and is wrap around to boot, I figured there wasn't much sense in using different pre-shade colors on the top and bottom, so I just went with basic black, as my ham fisted style, may just render most/some of the pre-shade work moot. I figured the black would give me the best shot at the pre-shade work actually being seen after paint.

Pre-shading now done on the main air-frame:

DSC03862.jpg

DSC03863.jpg

DSC03864.jpg

DSC03865.jpg

DSC03866.jpg

Well, the pre-shading has since been setting up overnight, and I plan on getting the Medium gray laid down today/tonight. Then I will let that dry overnight tonight and work on the green tomorrow.

Cheers!

Sad about the windscreen, Brian. Can you dab some thinned Future into the crack and see if it draws into the crack? Might hide or reduce the visibility of it.

Oh, and I like the pre-shading, too! should come out good!

Nice work Brian, pity indeed about the windscreen, found this might help http://www.aviationspectator.com/image/photos/military-aircraft/special-ops/north-american-rockwell-ov-10-bronco/north-american-ro-136

Looks like they were all at it, you'll know when you find it http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33877

Edited by Kagemusha

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Excellent progress on the Bronco and your pace is amazing. I wholeheartedly agree about the Zunis and drop tanks .. if it looks good, I'm OK with it.  Nice work on the drop tank fins and they look real good. I know how you feel about the wind screen but if you didn't point it out, it can hardly be seen. Sure wish my P-35 glass and framing came out half as good as yours.

I've never really had any success with pre-shading so I am taking notes very carefully as your work your way through the paint portion of the build.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools