S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

Love your work but could you hurry up and finish it? One, I can't wait to see it finished and two, Injection kit to follow about 6 months after you finish yours.

Really nice progress and great work!

• 3 weeks later...

Progress was very limited during the last few weeks; my friend Bekim is currently working on a CAD file of the canopy and I have been working on the markings. I have decided to mask most of the markings, but I'll have decals printed for the small markings and stencils as well. My friend Axel has cut a set of custom masks on his Silhouette plotter; I have used them to paint some of the larger markings last week end. The windows will of course get a 'glass' - I have just sprayed them on to define their exact positions.

img_3134dfs1v.jpg

img_313594slo.jpg

img_31368psea.jpg

img_3137d0s2m.jpg

img_3138pvsv5.jpg

img_3139yys7m.jpg

img_3140mksbc.jpg

The result is pretty convincing in my opinion. Seems that I need a Silhouette Cameo as well... 

Great work !You make it look so easy. Don't want to jump the gun but what's next after the S-3 is complete? RA-5C by any chance?

Terrific work, Ben!

Kev

Thank you, Kevin! :)

Great work !You make it look so easy. Don't want to jump the gun but what's next after the S-3 is complete? RA-5C by any chance?

Thanks mate! I think the Hawkeye or the Greyhound will be next, the Vigi is a bit lower on my list. I have to finish my carrier deck and elevator as well... 

Ben, brilliant as always ... that's some really crisp masking. I have to say I'm completely hooked on masks now - don't know if I can ever go back to decals. I will have to learn how to work a Silhouette cutter or it'll be too expensive!

Jim

Thanks Jim! The only problem is that very small elements can't be cut, so decals will remain essential... Things like Bureau Numbers or pilot names for example. 

Working with a Silhouette doesn't seem to be overly difficult, all you need is a vector layout of the masks you want to cut. 

Thank you, Kevin! :)

Thanks mate! I think the Hawkeye or the Greyhound will be next, the Vigi is a bit lower on my list. I have to finish my carrier deck and elevator as well... 

Thanks Jim! The only problem is that very small elements can't be cut, so decals will remain essential... Things like Bureau Numbers or pilot names for example. 

Working with a Silhouette doesn't seem to be overly difficult, all you need is a vector layout of the masks you want to cut. 

Great work for SURE Ben!   I love my little Silhouette cutter. I have the Silhouette Portrait, and not the Cameo, which is a bit smaller, but I found anything that I normally cut is pretty small, so didnt feel the need for the larger Cameo.

Either way, they are invaluable IMHO. Ive done SO much with mine (including a 1:1 Mopar stripe for my Jeep!) that it has paid for itself many many times over. I wold also recommend the upgrade  to the "Designer Edition" software, as its ability to nest multiple cutouts, and especially its ability to import/export Vectors was essential for me personally.