1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

thanks guys :)

so, it's been quite a busy day...

first breaking out the moulds as in my earlier post (great idea by the way Derek..) and now playing around with resin...

..it struck me I might be able to re-use the nose master to displace the resin and create the hollow lower half of the nose for the nosewheel bay, so I drilled some holes in it, put some rods through and carefully suspended it in the mould after pouring in the resin..

WIP159_zpseed3dcb6.jpg

..seemed to work - certainly the outer face looked ok..

WIP162_zps4a6c8b96.jpg

..and with a bit of cleaning up the inner face should look ok too..

WIP163_zps5516feb9.jpg

..on to the upper half of the nose - I got an 8oz fishing weight and heath robinson style suspended it in the mould...

WIP160_zps989ffcdf.jpg

..here you can see the resin starting to go off, entombing it forever.. (I hope...)

WIP161_zps6b03ef42.jpg

..and ultimately I am happy at how they turned out..

WIP165_zpse0db465f.jpg

..the lower half is thicker where I don't want it to be (where I need to cut out the aperture for the nosewheel doors) so may well try Dereks 'sloshing' method..

WIP166_zps8ea49872.jpg

..I drilled a load of holes in the mating faces and added a rod to try and share some of the load between the fuselage and what is now a pretty heavy nose part and glued them together with epoxy - not as clean a joint as I would have liked as the epoxy started to go off and I think some of the holes filled with air causing resistance - but it is lined up, and it is well stuck so will do...

WIP167_zps4d65d3d0.jpg

..all is not quite rosy though, the moulds or something somewhere was not quite level so the nosewheel roof is not square - my brain has had it for today so will figure that out tomorrow :whistle:

TTFN

Peter

hi folks :)

todays little episode...

after getting the nose cemented on yesterday it was about a bit of finishing and planning..

..first getting the seam sorted - the nose weighs quite a bit now so this will take a lot of stress - it also makes the model quite hard to handle and with such a long way to go thats a bit of an issue..

..the fit turned out quite well in the end..

WIP168_zps8cc9da10.jpg

WIP169_zpsa2aaf710.jpg

..I also re-cast the lower nose by turning the master upside down and using the top of it to create the hollow - the wall thickness is now workable. I also marked out where the gear leg and retraction strut will go..

WIP173_zpsb044b49c.jpg

..and scaled up a plan with my markings on where various elements need to go..

WIP174_zps18077310.jpg

..and shot a bit of primer to see whats what..

WIP170_zps5479dbd9.jpg

WIP171_zps0d04b7fa.jpg

WIP172_zps1e057e0b.jpg

..the dilemma I now have is whether to attach the lower nose and get all the shaping right and do keyhole surgery to detail it inside, or add detail to the nosewheel bay while the parts are separate and risk damaging / reworking it as I add the lower half..

..one to ponder..

TTFN

Peter

..the dilemma I now have is whether to attach the lower nose and get all the shaping right and do keyhole surgery to detail it inside, or add detail to the nosewheel bay while the parts are separate and risk damaging / reworking it as I add the lower half..

..one to ponder..

TTFN

Peter

I would do both Peter! (Temporarily attace the lower nose to shape it, then separate it for detailing then permanently attach it at your convenience - you could even use the other lower nose as a sacrificial protection cover if you wish?).

Great (and fast) work Peter :goodjob:

Derek