1/32 WWII Soviet aircraft interest? ...

Artful69

Hi all ...

A few of you might have seen this recent thread posted by 'Vitali' on 18th June.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=51112

With a couple of emails exchanged between Mike (the Merit website manager) and I, due to the confusion surrounding the listing on scale size (i.e.: 1/32 & 1/48), he seemed genuinely intrigued about the interest level the ad had sparked for 1/32 scale ... his final reply is below:

"Hi Roger,

Sorry to dissapoint!  However we are always looking for the next big thing (pun intended) and our owners are very receptive to the forum communities.  So, it may be possible to consider producing a twin engine Soviet aircraft kit in that scale if enough people would be interested.  We will keep the community informed!

Thanks Again
Mike Johnston
Webmaster 
Merit International"

Ok folks ... so, the question is one of interest level!! ... Please be aware that I will provide Mike with a link to this thread so he can pop in and look at your suggestions ... probably a good idea to follow the forum rules in spirit on this one ... I think we would like to create a good impression (also not annoying the Mods is good!)... any ideas/thoughts are welcome as long as they are Soviet, WWII and predominantly (though not exclusively!) twins :D

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

I'm still hoping for the Polikarpov I-15 and 152. They are a bit smaller in size, and they fought in the Spanish Civil War and Finland on both sides.   Sorry they aren't twins...

Tnarg

Edited by Tnarg

A Petljakow Pe-2, Tupolev Tu-2 or even an Iljuschin Il-4 would be amazing. The Pe-2 would be my favorite because it simply looks great.

A more realizable subject might be the heavy fighter Pe-3 (with a less complex interiour compared to a bomber), which would also look great sitting next to a similar Bf-110.

I'd like the Tupolev SB. This was almost obsolete in WW2 and was taken out of first line Russian use in 1941, But it was flown by the Russians against the German and Finns, with the Chinese against the Japanese, in Mongolia against the Japanese, with the Finns against the Russians and in Spain with the Spanish Royalists (and Communists) against the (Fascist) Nationalists.

Get your score cards here folks, can't tell the bad guys from the bad guys without a scorecard. :shrug:

I would like to see one of those old SB bombers in 1/32 kit form.

Stephen

220px-Tupolev_SB-2.jpg300px-Tupoljev_ANT-40.svg.png

Edited by ssculptor

Almost no interest in Soviet twins. But, I'd love to see some Soviet single-engined WWII aircraft get some attention:

I-15

I-153

LaGG-3

La-5/-5F/-5FN

Yak-3/-5/-7/-9

These aircraft were staples of the VVS, but we don't have injected kits of any of them. Just the short-run I-16, Hobby Boss' Il-2 and Trumpeter's MiG-3. A sadly vast gap in coverage otherwise.

D

As they already have the TU-2 in 1/48 as a CAD database file format, it would make sense that a 1/32 scale kit could be made from that data by just scaling it up to 150% .

Pe2 is one of my favorites.

WW2 Russian aircraft in 1/32 scale are very lacking.

Jon

There are so many to choose from, but they are all listed above. Maybe add a Po 2, Bedcheck Charlie! Whatever subject, make sure it is basically accurate. We can add the final details, but if the basic shape is wrong, it is a very difficult thing to justify buying. Look at Wingnut Wings. Awesome quality, and now they have the WW1 market stitched up. And, a load of new customers who previously wouldn't have dreamt of building a biplane before, now confirmed addicts. Why? Top Quality product, that's why....

Tim