Something old-school - scratch-built 1:32 Dart Kitten - using old and new tech!

Iain

I really hope you don't! Your model reminds me of the scratch-built De Havilland Moth models by Tont Woolett, regularly featured in the eighties Scale Models magazine and much admired by me. 

Well, funnily enough, I've had Tony very much in my mind whilst building this!  :)

I knew him when we were both members of IPMS Thames Valley, and his work was always an inspiration.

He was always happy to share techniques and always hugely self-deprecating.

I'd like to think/hope he'd approve of this one...

Iain

I'd be really happy if it encouraged others to have a go Kev!  :)

It's really not difficult - and a lot less skill needed than some of the masterpieces posted by others...

I just wish I could work more quickly and not overthink every stage. :deadhorse:

Iain

Fantastic stuff Iain. 

She looks particularly bonnie.

If you could go back in time with the knowledge you now possess, would you still scratch build the larger components or design and 3D print everything?

Edited by geedubelyer

That's a really good question!  :hmmm:

I'm not sure:

With my current position on the CAD learning curve (still fairly low) - I could probably knock up a fuselage and set of wings a lot more quickly from scratch, using plastic sheet and balsa.

Those methods are still valid IMHO.

However, I'd probably try to force myself further up the CAD learning curve by going the digital route.

Oddly, or perhaps not, the thought process involved in visualising what needs to be made and the shapes involved is very similar in both processes - it's just the method of getting to the final object that changes.

If any of that makes sense?

Iain

Time for some 'sticker' design...

Needed to create the Dart Aircraft Company logo - in silver - to go either side of the nose as a decal.

This would have been too fine for a stencil.

A suitable oblique image of the logo was dragged into CorelDRAW and used to draw up the logo as a piece of vector art.

This was then transferred to the positively ancient laptop (20 years old?) running Windows XP - anything newer is not supported by the ALPS Printer software!

The ALPS MD-1000 I've had for a long time. For those that haven't come across them, they are a thermal wax printer that can print directly onto decal paper.

But the *real* plus is that they can print white, gold and, in this case, silver!

48b427_9c822e0d65b74d4eaf0fbf2d96dec862~

Being so old it's a bit of a lottery - and a bit fiddly to get everything working together - but at lunch time today I managed to run off the following - both the Dart Logos - and some 'Air League of the British Empire'  stickers for the rudder:

48b427_c7acd0753b94468fbbfd2f9df759972c~

So - next up a coat of Gloss over the airframe and we can add them.

Back soon!

Iain

Saw this little beastie in the flesh a few nights ago (Wiltshire Scale Modellers, Pewsham Community Centre, third Thursdays, 7.30 pm, all welcome, 'scuse the plug!) and it really is a splendid little model!  

T

1 hour ago, wunwinglow said:

Saw this little beastie in the flesh a few nights ago (Wiltshire Scale Modellers, Pewsham Community Centre, third Thursdays, 7.30 pm, all welcome, 'scuse the plug!) and it really is a splendid little model! 

In response I think we have to state something like "other clubs are also available", or something like that, these days...  :D

In other news, I love the smell of MRP Paint in the afternoon. :ninja:

Iain

• 4 weeks later...

Dart logos added to the nose - and Air League 'sticker' on the rudder...

48b427_452438f291da4f6580f4b40cb7bf7759~

48b427_3c2714740eb04cb6bfa91b4c5f9352f2~

And a reprint of the engine - wasn't happy with the last - in process of getting some paint on the new one.

Oh, and the 'blank' for the instrument panel.

48b427_8752f9b396e340169de17161e6b3e14d~

48b427_b21ed65445664091b2d7960a0fd6ec61~

Have fun...

Iain