1/18 Scale P-38 Lightning

JayW

Nice! Best of luck with the new windscreen. I don't know if you've ever had a look at Paul Budzik's website, but he does a lot of work with clear acrylic for all his transparencies. He starts off with relatively thick pieces and the files/machines them to the right shape, then gradually takes all the scratches out and polishes them to an immaculate finish. They look incredible and I was wondering if that may be a way to transition the flat windscreen to the rest of the windshield? I'm completely rubbish at polishing canopies but his site shows you it can be done......

http://paulbudzik.com/models/tempest-construction/tempest-construction-page3.html

Craig

Craig - I have indeed visited Paul Budzik's site and he is the reason why I bought the mini-lathe.  What a great purchase.  However, Paul has outrageous skills that I don't have (and resources to boot - I believe he can take advantage of dental tools, as that is his real profession).  It is pretty evident to me he can apply the artistry and skill of making crowns and such to making model parts.  Keep in touch here though - I think you will like how I re-do the windshield and aft canopy - it is different to say the least.  I will do them essentially the same way as I did for the 1/18 Miss Velma P-51 windshield.  The sides ought to be OK too but top hatch is going to be more of a compromise, because I will be forced to use the toy part and modify it as best I can.  It is here where I wish I could do the molding thing. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been sick, and then I have been out of town, and I have been busy with...life. So my momentum was squashed. But I have gotten back to work again slowly. Here is a little progress - I present to you the Lynn model L-3 gunsight, used on just about all P-38's:

027_zpsmhkdvjla.jpg

I found those photos on the web, and with some other stuff from manuals I was able to scale off many features and come up with something fairly convincing. Here are a couple of more shots:

028_zps3h3mv4qg.jpg

029_zpskenkty2n.jpg

This unit mounts directly to the windshield - three studs are threaded into 3 holes in the thick windshield, and I have done the same thing with my windshield. The little silver ball in front of the sight glass is a spare bulb wedged into its little bracket. It's going to be very visible.

Next time you see this little gem it will be mounted on a windshield which is itsself mounted onto the center fuselage. Stay tuned - critical work ahead.

Now the windshield is installed onto the center fuselage, as is the cockpit.  And the sta 126 frame has been installed which will stabilize the windshield and complete the cutout that defnines the side glass pieces.  Here it is:

003_zps2ckjgyca.jpg

Also, that nice little L3 gunsight has been attached to the inside of the windshield:

006_zpsfxu1m8yx.jpg

004_zpsno2hna3a.jpg

002_zpsckqtvzdf.jpg

005_zpsv01fqb4w.jpg

Next is the side glass some of which is painted (not the entire cutout is glass - a nicely curved protion of the lower edge is actually metal (in our case painted plastic).  21CT forgot to do this and it looks funny (too much glass) - this will be corrected. 

I am already having issues with the side glass flat pattern test part which I generated in the computer.  Not sure what went wrong.....  My next post you will see the side glass installed on both sides, and a little panel on the centerline just in front of the windshield which will provide a blend radius.  Then the framing strips whihc will make it look finished.  All these parts are difficult to get right and present risks to the "glass" from smearing with glue or epoxy or from scratching.

Stay tuned.

Oh - so that's how those bezel "surrounds" are done  :)  Beautiful job!    I've always wondered about making tiny rings from 0.25mm styrene rods but the smallest size available is 0.5mm.   Your cockpit looks real already!