1/18 Scale P-38 Lightning

JayW

JW

My comments were well deserved. The Mustang is alive and well. I took a break. Got terribly frustrated with the tail skins and this past weekend restarted. I never thought making the rivet pattern would be so hard. Getting it all to line up proved to be insanely complex...especially all the intersections...I think it was thirty per face. It made me nuts, but am back at it.

Looking forward to the T-Bolt.

Best

Geoff

• 5 years later...

Jay, firstly I would like to commend you on your P-38 project albeit a few years after completion! Your workman is superb and your lathe work nothing short of brilliant. I am about to embark on the same project and was hoping you could point me in the direction as to where you got your reference drawings? I have found many 3 views but am looking for scale engineering drawings of individual parts ie. Seat, canopy etc. I would really appreciate your help and thank you in advance.

8 hours ago, Adrian Starling said:

Jay, firstly I would like to commend you on your P-38 project albeit a few years after completion! Your workman is superb and your lathe work nothing short of brilliant. I am about to embark on the same project and was hoping you could point me in the direction as to where you got your reference drawings? I have found many 3 views but am looking for scale engineering drawings of individual parts ie. Seat, canopy etc. I would really appreciate your help and thank you in advance.

Wow!  It's been a while. Thanks so much for the compliments.

Adrian I hope you know what you are getting into.  The 21st Century Toys P-38 is far and away the largest model I have ever built.  It almost requires a specially built cabinet.  

At the time I did this project I didn't have access to engineering drawings.  I just searched the web for pictures and diagrams, and found some that were helpful.  I did however have a computer design program where I could convert whatever info I could obtain into digital parts, which was absolutely essential.   Now though, Lockheed drawings can be accessed through Aircorps Library (aircorpslibrary.com).  Boy do I wish I had that access back then. 

An example:

uHn5W6Kh.jpg

Costs money to join up, but not much.  

Have fun - it's going to be a huge challenge.  

Edited by JayW

Thank you so much Jay, since I messaged you I have signed up for a minimal fee and I am on my way! It is a big beast but and as you rightly say, a monumental challenge. I am just about to complete a 1/24 scratch built SAAF Mirage F1AZ after 3 years of pleasurable toil! I will post my progress when I get going! Thank you so much again!