Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

fozzy

My thanks to HL-10....Loic....Hubert and thanks to 322SQNL for the B17 link.....very useful! ;)

So what I would like to do is ask any of you who have been following this build for your input if I may. wink.png

This project is almost coming to the end now and I am having problems continuing as I have to make a decision before I can go any further!

I don't have any problems with scratch building the remainder of the B17G but what I do have a BIG PROBLEM with is trying to make a decision on how to display the model. hmmm.gif

The way I see it ...I have two choices...........

1. Put the 2 halves together and loose 50% of the detailed work I have put into it... (I always planned to do this but I am having second thoughts due to the hours of detailing I have stupidly put into this!!! )

or.........

2. Try to display the model in a kind of tier .... (bottom half....middle section (cockpit floor)...and top half )...all this would have to be suspended one section on top of the other...if you understand what I am trying to say!! whistle.gif .....that way you would see ALL of the detail I have put into this B17......

I think I know which way I am leaning towards...but just to be sure.... I would really appreciate your thoughts on the display problem.

So to maybe help .....here is a recap  showing some of the detail I have done up to date.......................

kiu%20002_zpsl0kpmuxy.jpg

kiu%20005_zpsxbhk5wtx.jpg

nb%20001_zpsp1j2dbrw.jpg

nb%20004_zpsckypi47o.jpg

kiu%20006_zps7q5fktog.jpg

kiu%20007_zpslhypouh5.jpg

kiu%20008_zpso4s4q2dx.jpg

kiu%20011_zpsjbhctunh.jpg

kiu%20012_zpsdg57fo5o.jpg

The next post will show the 2 halves together ( very roughly at this stage!! )

Hi to all

Thanks very much for your input lads and it seems that the way to go is to have opened to show the detail......I now fully agree with what you all are saying and you have helped me to cross a hurdle in this project....so thanks a lot :)

I would not build the rest of the AC either unless you want it but I'd build a stand/trolley to display it.

My 2 cents  ;)

Absolutely no way am I going to build the rest of the Aircraft Loic....this front end was enough for me!!! ;)

So I was thinking of displaying it with the 3 sections in a tier (one on top of the other ) suspended by fishing lines...of course I would have to build a tasteful frame for the lines but I think it might work!.......I did this a few years ago with a 1: 32 Corsair with a miniature electric motor turning the prop......see below.................

IMG_1408_zps1wefbtvf.jpg

IMG_1409_zps3j6lbnfc.jpg

I think this method might work for the B17.

Lots to think about but thanks for helping me over this dilemma of how to display it.

...and now I will have to do some more work on the interior parts as now you will be able to see it all :rolleyes:....its going to take some time but I guess there is no rush!

I'll be back with an update as soon as I have one!!

Fozzy 

Absolutely Awesome!

I think doing the tier display is the best. After all the hard work would be a shame to cover it up!

Opened up leaves room for many interesting conversations!

Truly amazing work and labor of love for the aircraft!

My 1 cent input.

Teresa :-)

Hi once again!! ;)

OK so spent most of the morning thinking about how to go forward with this project and I have made another decision!...decisions...decisions !! rolleyes.gif

This is what I am going to do............put the whole thing in the bin!..............I mean..........

Take a look at this photo...........

second%20skin%20finished_zpsqsgbpj2k.jpg

OK....so when the area has been cut off.... the lower section of the cut off will be attached to the lower half permanently....That way a lot more detail will be shown ..including both 50 Cals  in the cheek windows.This also saves viewers bending down and looking up at all the detail .....it will be a case of just looking down into both cockpit and front section....The top half will then be suspended as planned...like a lid!

Of course there is a down side to this!....there always is!! sad.png

.......and that is that a lot of the detail I have done so far will be destroyed when re vamping the fuselage and I will have to re do the detail again.....but even though I will probably set my self back a good few months I feel that it will be well worth it in the end....well it better had be angry.png

The other down side is that I will permanently fix the center section (cockpit floor ) onto the lower half making it only two sections total....of course the lower detail under the cockpit floor will be hidden but you will be able to see some of it through the tunnel access and via the rear....

So there you have it!

Tomorrow I will start the great destroying of all the detail I have done and getting the fuselage halves sorted! hmmm.gif

So when I have made some sort of progress out of all this I will return!!!

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy

Afternoon there lads!

So I have some photos of the new look B17G! smile.png

I do hope you appreciate that this is just a rough example of what it might look like!.....

There will be lots more detail added later. wink.png

Lets show you the photos..................

bc%20002_zpssml3zsuu.jpg

So first of all here is some of the detail that I had to take apart!....Some of this I can re use when re placing it in the model.....

vx%20013_zpsshj1mtg2.jpg

You can obviously see where I made the cut....ok well its the top line!! rolleyes.gif ....as stated in the photo hopefully you won't see the lower joint! unsure.png

vx%20012_zpsghyy2xs4.jpg

So off comes the top.........

vx%20025_zpsf0zuezva.jpg

You can see straight away that more detail will be able to be seen!

vx%20006_zpshvoeytut.jpg

again as stated in the pic ...I will have to redo the rear of the IP using some of the original parts (you wouldn't of seen this before this change )

vx%20007_zpsgs9okafv.jpg

vx%20008_zps42ggqilq.jpg

vx%20010_zpsxdvya4e3.jpg

vx%20011_zps9fwvevcz.jpg

Now this will be the tricky part....I am going to have the whole of the upper turret on display fixed to the rear floor as it is in the real B17....without it being in the glass dome!...not going to be easy that one!! ohmy.png

When completed it can be displayed in either this way...(with some sort of hinge).......

vx%20017_zpstbe2hfvl.jpg

vx%20020_zps4a7xknqg.jpg

Or this way.......

vx%20022_zpsb7pfq3uy.jpg

vx%20023_zpsljdhr7pg.jpg

So there you have it....I think it will look a lot better and show so much more detail this way...what do you think?....well its too late now any way!!...The only detail you won't see is immediately under the cockpit floor...(the other lower detail  you will be able to see through the back and from the front under the IP)

I do hope you all approve...it was a hell of a decision to make after all the work I have done!

Lots of detailing to do ..so better get on with it !!

See you on the next post!

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to you all

A huge update

About a week has gone by and I have managed to get everything back to where I was before ...only this time the display is different ! smile.png

The hardest part was the re construction of the structure behind the IP.....that took a lot of time and patients but I am happy to report that I am so much more happier about the way it all looks now.

There are quite a few photos ( nothing new there then!!! wink.png )....but I wanted to show the amount of detail that now can be seen!

So we will start off with the overall look...remembering that the top is not present and lots more detail to do....

j%20031_zpsualjxyhk.jpg

j%20006_zpswxlnlsc1.jpg

lk_zpsjsor3nbs.jpg

Next up are photos of the front section...being the Bombardiers and Navigators stations ...and you will now be able to look straight down into the compartment.....

j%20002_zps4f42hhra.jpg

j%20019_zpsmzxtqggp.jpg

j%20004_zpsd2jhcyit.jpg

j%20022_zpsoypd4ajq.jpg

j%20024_zpslzhh6kcw.jpg

j%20025_zpsku8rex3h.jpg

...and there's more ! wink.png ..............

Now moving back to the Cockpit...........

pv%20002_zpscipbuau7.jpg

pv%20003_zpssxqiwwsw.jpg

....and further still to just behind the Pilot/Co Pilots seats......

j%20016_zpsopv1mubm.jpg

j%20028_zps7t4404hv.jpg

j%20034_zpsthugpe7q.jpg

j%20014_zps10tnhf5y.jpg

one of my favorite shots!! smile.png ....

j%20035_zpsrqab21so.jpg

So the Upper turret construction will go in the space at the back....(I decided to not put the turret into the glass dome as I wanted to show off the detail )

Finally we have two photos of what it might look like when finished....the hinge affair or the suspended from above ...not too sure at the moment......

mb%20001_zpsslkhfmzh.jpg

mb%20006_zpsyb1vn27q.jpg

So there you have it!!

I am so glad that I took the time to destroy/rebuild this project...as I have said I am much more in tune with the whole project now smile.png

I am now really looking forward to placing both 50 Cals in the nose...and when I have completed that I will be back again...don't worry ...nearly finished now!! wink.png

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy