Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

fozzy

• 1 month later...

Hi every one

Its been over a month since I last did some work on the old B17G....Just felt as if I needed a break from her!....in the mean time I have been enjoying making a few model kits over the Xmas and New Year period.....but its time to get back to this project for the last push and try and get it done!

My last post on the B17 was the vac forming of the top turret dome......well I had a close look at the dome that I produced and wasn't really happy with it so I attempted to have a go at making another one...and another one ....and another one :frantic: ....just couldn't get it right.....(I think it was several factors that stopped me producing a decent dome....the kitchen where I was vac forming was 0C degrees....coldest winter in years over here in Bulgaria.....and it effected the heating procedure...and the plastic packaging wasn't quite right!!)...............and so I decided to go with the original one I made.

The problem was that the plastic was very flimsy and I thought that it wouldn't work at all. So I started to make the dome frame as I thought it might strengthen the whole thing ......and I was lucky that it did! :whistle:

So the frame I made from plastic strips and before super gluing them onto the frame I punched the plastic strips to simulate riveting.

I am not ecstatic about the turret dome but feel that I will get away with it once its painted up.....here it is....................

PO001_zpscf6b4be2.jpg

PO003_zps6eebe700.jpg

tr002_zps12addf1d.jpg

tr007_zpsc42168b2.jpg

PO007_zps6cff92e2.jpg

PO004_zpsf1cca745.jpg

tr006_zps55a39eca.jpg

Ok then.....I have now to replicate the turret workings....you should see the amount of photos I have got to attempt to do this ohmy.png

When I have made some progress I will post again.

Cheers for looking in chaps! smile.png

Fozzy

I thought you had dropped off of the face of the earth!  Welcome back Martin.

It doesn't look terrible.  Which is all we can ask of ourselves sometimes.  I do feel your pain tho when it comes to feeling their work is below par on occasion.

Good show, tho.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Fozzy

I'm right with mark and sometimes we're a bit too hard on ourselves. To these old eyes, the turret looks great

Keep 'em coming

Peter

HI Fozzy

Coming along nicely. Will you give the turret a dip in future (or whatever it's called over there), that'll improve clarity (maybe try it on a piece of same material first - just in case).

Lovely work as usual. Look forward to seeing the turret come together.

Matt

HI Fozzy

Coming along nicely. Will you give the turret a dip in future (or whatever it's called over there), that'll improve clarity (maybe try it on a piece of same material first - just in case).

Lovely work as usual. Look forward to seeing the turret come together.

Matt

Hi Matt....already done mate (Johnson Klear)....its the best I am going to get it I'm afraid but it does look heaps better with the frame painted...as you will see in my next post! :)

Martin,

What type of glue do you use to attach the framing to the turret?

Cees

Hi Cees.....I used Cyanoacrylate (super glue)......but if your thinking of doing something like this ...try it on another piece of the same material first as it sometimes mists the clear plastic (it certainly does on model kit canopies....I use white glue for that) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Battling on with the Dorsal Turret! smile.png

I took a few hours to study photos of the real thing and decided that there was going to have to be a lot of imagination and "Artistic License"!!...to replicate this Turret! unsure.png

I have many photos and drawings but of different angles.....some how I was going to have to join all the info together if you know what I mean!

I am no way finished as yet but thought I would show you my progress!

Here are a few shots when I started......................

tr001_zps89f39f9b.jpg

tr003_zps47e715c4.jpg

More bits and pieces added............

tr004_zps208771e9.jpg

tr008_zps4c604ba1.jpg

tr009_zps81dc456a.jpg

tr010_zps79d5d09f.jpg

Each time I add a part I make sure everything fits....here it is pushed up into the dome from beneath.......

kk006_zps511ec11f.jpg

These next 3 photos give you an idea what it might look like when all finished......

kk002_zps84861cc6.jpg

kk005_zpse16226d5.jpg

kk004_zps73cd37b5.jpg

So lots more to add to this as yet ...so I better get on with it then!!

Will be back when I have made more progress

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy