Looks like a fellow modeller has died

TonyT

Always sad to see a fellow brave's collection up for grabs.

I can see he was a keen LSP modeller, and someone will get a VERY good deal out of it all won't they!

A timely reminder to build more kits!!!  :hmmm:

I have two boxes full of armor stuff here that belonged to a fellow club member that passed on (only 46 at the time), and I sometimes feel odd while sorting through it, knowing that he intended to use it all, one day.

What happens is it gets thrown away by those that dont value the man or his previous possesions.

Unless....you have the stellar collection and foresight of Dr. Charles Metz may he rest in peace.

It really is just dust in the wind in the grand scheme of things.

Jon

Edited by fastzx

If having all these partially built kits and books and stuff made him happy then they did what they were supposed to do. They, by their very presence pleased him.

Now he is gone, as we all will go, so what difference does it matter to him what happens to them? Nothing whatsoever. He is gone.

All these kits and stuff he left behind are now the concern and problem of his wife who wants to get rid of them. It bothers other model builders perhaps. but none of them matter because the purpose of these items was to please the owner, which they most probably did. Their function has been fulfilled.

Now they can have another function: to put some money in the wife's pocket and put some kits and books in other modelers stashes.

Life goes on.

Stephen

I was pondering this a few days ago but thinking about my built kits.

What would happen to all of my built models after I'm gone? The unbuilt kit could be sold, although I'm sure for much less than I paid for them. Or maybe my son would build some of them. But I have no idea what my family would do with the finished ones.

Have any of you fellas got a plan for the finished models after you break on through to the other side?

MM

Like I told a friend who was visiting and remarked on the mess of junk in my backyard. She said I should clean all this up. I asked "Why?"

Her response was "If you don't then your family will have to clean it up after you die."

I answered, "What the hell will I care, I'll be dead."

That shut her up.

Stephen 

Guest Colin M

Very sad and I'm sure I've unwittingly taken advantage of deals like this on Ebay before, for sure if I passed away tomorrow I'd like to think my stash would go to fellow modellers through auction and proceeds go to my estate, buts its more likely, as (I'm single now) local council  would use it as landfill. and that's the harsh truth.

SSculptor makes very valid points, you cant take stash with you when you go and I for sure have certainly started to build more in 2014 and hope to stash less.

You aint never seen a hearse with a U-haul trailer behind it guys, lets get building.

A few years ago here in Melbourne a chap died with over 3000 kits and many hundreds of books. He left it to his family with the instructions that they were to sell it to fellow modellers. His family members ran a huge swap and sell one Sunday and it was all sold within 2 hours.

Like I told a friend who was visiting and remarked on the mess of junk in my backyard. She said I should clean all this up. I asked "Why?"

Her response was "If you don't then your family will have to clean it up after you die."

I answered, "What the hell will I care, I'll be dead."

That shut her up.

Stephen 

You, my friend are a treasure, and are truly on my bucket list of people to meet (though I know only a pipe dream) maybe someday.....no matter how crappy of a day I have had, a musing from the fingertips of Stephen always put a smile on my face....regardless the topic....

Edited by xmh53wrench

Like all my possessions I really do not mind what happens to them when I am gone, I have had my pleasure out of them, for models (including reference material, paint, detail parts etc) this has several stages of fun/pleasure/anticipation, tracking down the elusive kit (at the right price), anticipation of it's arrival, finally the post/delivery man puts it into my grubby mitts, and then the pleasure of opening the box and checking out the parts. All very pleasurable in their own way, but if the kit is actually built, then there is the planning of the build, gathering information, searching for aftermarket parts, then the build, then after months of careful building finally installing the finished model in the display cabinet.Even if I do not build them I have had my share of fun out of them. I apply this kind of logic to all my possessions.

Cheers

Dennis

You, my friend are a treasure, and are truly on my bucket list of people to meet (though I know only a pipe dream) maybe someday.....no matter how crappy of a day I have had, a musing from the fingertips of Stephen always put a smile on my face....regardless the topic....

And you, sir, have made my day.

Many thanks,

Stephen