HpH de Havilland Hornet – Sea Hornet F Mk22 TT202

airscale

thanks guys :)

been fiddling about making up the instrument panel - on the Hornet the panel is at about a 15 degree angle to the Blind Flying Panel (the cluster of six main instruments). As a result some of the instrument casings and other gubbins can be seen through the gap...

..I started making these from rod and more airscale bits and bobs - also added some of the wiring and a ribbed hose from guitar string...

WIP126_zpsb8d6ea61.jpg

..there is also a cross-brace so I made this from rod too...

WIP127_zpsef17d779.jpg

..then I made up the panel proper and detailed it - used instruments and placards. The four dials at the top had to be glazed with future as I when I glazed them the dial face looked too deep inside - I just wish my painting was better...

WIP128_zpsc43c3dcb.jpg

WIP129_zpsfde381e2.jpg

WIP130_zpsf490b8b9.jpg

..going to move on from the fiddly bits and start making up the cockpit cell and seat next...

TTFN

Peter

Hi Peter, that is one great job on the instrument panel, so you quoted on post 91 " I have been tempted in the past just to build cockpits from everything I like " so how about you build for me the following  :hmmm: 

Mustang

Canso

Spitfire

Tempest

I could keep going and going, your detail work is brilliant. I just bought a few of your items so if your answer is no, I will have to give it a go.

Regards

Richard

evening all :)

..so tonight's episode is a story about a seat... the kit has one of course, but unfortunately it is not as detailed as I would like, so again it's time for some home brew...

..first up are references I found on the web - this is the seat a Hornet has (though this isn't from one) - really nice pictures showing the shape, details and colours - you can see it's actually made from bakelite(?) mouldings rivetted together...

WIP131_zpsdac6aa86.jpg

..I also had a drawing David Collins kindly sent me, so could try and work out the complex shapes of the mouldings... I started with the bucket, sides and flanges..

WIP132_zpsa73cb2c7.jpg

..to make the curved back, I cut a section from an aerosol lid...

WIP134_zps5a23522a.jpg

..the seat back actually has a big moulded depression in it which while you can't see with the cushion on, it can be seen from the back. This is more obvious as the Hornet does not have a bulkhead behind the seat (which the kit incorrectly has) but the seat is sort of suspended and is only attached to the floor and armoured seat back - the whole area is very open so it had to be depicted..

..I stuck a thick bit of card to the bit of lid, shaped it and made a male mould - from that I just plunge moulded the full seat back...

WIP135_zps7fdfe5df.jpg

...detailed the back and started to make the 'wings' that feature on the seat sides - these are just bent card and some round rod scraped to a half round and stuck on...

WIP137_zpsebf80c8a.jpg

...added the rivets from sprue and other details from brass - the rivets sticking out will be the mounting points for the seat belts...

WIP139_zps1924e18d.jpg

WIP138_zpscf1abedb.jpg

...primed with mr surfacer...

WIP140_zps2257a14b.jpg

..the colour is difficult (for me anyway) so I made a start & will try and get the lighter textures as I go...

WIP141_zps1aaf70d4.jpg

..will make the cushion from milliput, and the kit includes some lovely, accurate HGW belts so soon have it finished...

TTFN

Peter