HpH de Havilland Hornet – Sea Hornet F Mk22 TT202

airscale

Hello all,

So, day one of my next build on LSP. I had so much fun doing my first WIP on my Sea Fury (which will be finished!) I thought I would do this one here too.

I picked up the HpH Hornet kit at Telford this weekend and what a beauty it is. It will be my first resin kit and I am looking forward to learning a new discipline. More of the kit later..

The subject I have picked is Sea Hornet F Mk22 TT202. I chose this one as there are a series of colour pictures taken on an air-to-air sortie on the South Coast with de Havilland test pilot Pat Fillingham at the controls. I like the simplicity of the scheme and the fact that the surface finish even on an all silver aircraft has many hues and tones.

Here she is...

WIP35_zps120f99ee.jpg

WIP36_zpsbc0f07e4.jpg

..a stunningly beautiful aeroplane and full credit to HpH for kitting it. I have been speaking with David Collins who runs the Hornet Project – he is literally a world authority on the aircraft and has been assembling what little remains of the real aircraft into a full cockpit section rebuild. Over time I am looking forward to learning more and more about it.

So onto the kit – here are some shots of what's in the box..

WIP25_zpsc4acafc4.jpg

WIP26_zps3b0d37b8.jpg

WIP27_zps59e90308.jpg

..major components..

WIP29_zpsd60fa3fe.jpg

..nice surface detail...

WIP33_zps7a906f41.jpg

..lots of bits & bobs...

WIP30_zps58bc2f08.jpg

WIP31_zps977f37fc.jpg

..nice PE..

WIP28_zps89bf1f17.jpg

..more in a moment...

..so, while I was waiting for Telford and not painting the Sea Fury, I got started on the Merlin engine – the kit does not have separate engines so I got hold of the sprues for a Merlin from a Tamiya Mustang.

The 130 series Merlin in a Hornet differs in that the air intake at the rear takes air from the top, not the bottom, and there is a big gearbox on the front to allow the props to rotate in different directions countering asymmetrical torque.

..visible here..

005_zps2cf9cdf8.jpg

006_zpsfdf128e2.jpg

..the tamiya parts..

WIP01_zpsc3e2c50f.jpg

..first up was to build the rear air intake structure...

WIP03_zps88497afc.jpg

..and modify the kit parts..

WIP02_zps6f6c593f.jpg

WIP04_zps67ae3177.jpg

WIP08_zps9f280ac8.jpg

...detailed the carburettors..

WIP10_zps03568453.jpg

WIP18_zps6f37cbab.jpg

WIP15_zpsf4528799.jpg

WIP14_zpsc4509d2a.jpg

WIP15_zpsf4528799.jpg

..with a bit of paint..

WIP16_zpsd68553b8.jpg

WIP17_zps5d7dfe6f.jpg

..modified the coolant pump to the bigger bore Hornet unit...

WIP19_zps447a6a77.jpg

..starting on the gearbox – I made a brass template by reducing a parts manual image to 1/32 scale...

WIP20_zpscf607d9c.jpg

..starting on the gearbox structure..

WIP21_zpsff67a36d.jpg

...and the nearly finished unit..

WIP22_zpsc18bed0c.jpg

..and this is where I am at so far..

WIP24_zps1cef4a47.jpg

..having fun and hope you enjoy following along..

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

OMG - this is going to be another incredible build. Why would I expect anything different.

Terrific start on the Merlin

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Jeez - you're not even waiting for the starter's gun!

I also picked up the kit, the most elegant model I saw at the show. I was flicking through the Hornet/Sea Hornet book this morning and seeing a photo of an aircraft with the cowl removed, thought about doing similar if they produce a Sea Hornet NF.21, but just one engine, needless to say, best of luck and I'll be following with great interest!!

thanks for the warm welcome guys - I am really looking forward to this build..

the kit is beautiful - I just need to learn some new techniques for dealing with resin - like how do you get parts off the resin wafer they come on - sand the backing away or cut & file?

converting the kit into a Sea Hornet should be fairly straightforward - add an arrestor hook and the PR camera window in the fuselage - I am  not folding the wings so only have to add the surface & panel detail differences. chopping it up to add an engine will likely be a bit fraught, but hey thats what it is all about - pushing boundaries and learning new stuff..

What did you use for the coolant pump housing to get such a complex shape?

Will

Hi Will - I just heated a bit of plastic rod and bent it around a needle file handle of the right diameter - no black magic at all!

Wonder what you used to depict those tiny screws on the gearbox structure?

Hi Thomas - I have a selection of brass nuts, bolts & washers from Scale Hardware - $10 for 25 so not cheap, but there is nothing else that represents them so well

..back soon with another update, but i fear it may be a little while before I actually touch the kit! - lots more to do on the Tamiya merlin

TTFN
Peter

Guest Nigelr32

Hi Peter,

May I first start by saying it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife at the show.

Secondly, your Sea Fury on the 32sig stand looks awesome!!

Thirdly, OMG!!!! This is some of the best work I have ever seen. I can only dream of achieving that level of skill in my lifetime.

As a sideline, i bought the Cat, you bought the Hornet, so we are very lucky boys... I spoke to a guy on Sunday afternoon who bought the Cat, Hornet, 410, Walrus, Arado and launch!!! He's a very lucky boy!!