Just how cool is 3-D printing?

Lee White

I imagine that someday, perhaps in the not-too-distant future, you'll be able to purchase CAD plans for your favorite plane,send them to a print facility, stating scale preference and including payment, and a few weeks later receiving your model. Amazing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1zV8JMwrvs#t=689

That's a cool video. Nice to see the different techniques used and explained.

There is a UK bike company that uses titanium 3D printed parts on their bikes:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/video-3d-titanium-printing-of-bicycle-components-37404/

I also saw a home machine on Kickstarter so we're not that far a way I'd say from printing kits at home.

Carl

I also saw a home machine on Kickstarter so we're not that far a way I'd say from printing kits at home.

I'm not sure I really believe that home 3D printing will take off. Sure, the technology will become widely and cheaply available - that much is inevitable. As a comparison, we've had the ability to print our own decals for decades now, but most modellers don't do it, and those who do only do so occasionally. Given that 3D printing is both more complicated and more expensive, I think most modellers would rather pay a nominal fee to have someone else do it properly. Sure, it'll make inroads, but it won't become the norm, in the same way the diecast or pre-built models haven't replaced assembly kits.

But what about folks making 3D software models available for download at a price, so that the hard part of the process is already taken care of? Well, again, compare with the decal industry. Do decal suppliers do that? Are modellers clamouring for that? Just sell me the artwork so I can print it myself... Nope, doesn't happen. At least, not as a commercial service.

Consumer and semi-pro 3D printing will flourish in the aftermarket cottage industry, and be popular with well-heeled scratchbuilders and tinkerers. I think there are too many barriers to entry for it to become more commonplace than, say, a lathe - or a vacuform machine. Many modellers have one of those, but they are definitely in the minority.

Of course, I could be wrong, and the main determinant of that will be how the consumer side of the industry develops and what kind of adoption it experiences with Joe Public.

Kev

This technology isn't new, it has been paying my salary for nearly 14 years! I have used it to make masters for myself and several other outfits, and it has some useful aspects. But overall, it has just as many limitations as it does advantages. If it is to have any sort of surface quality worth a candle, forget any of the current rash of home-made or very low cost devices, the model surface is appalling. If you want anything with any strength, or that won't warp, or delaminate, or hold liquids, forget them again.

i agree with Kev, they might one day be vaguely useful to us modellers, generally, but we are a long way away from that yet. Generally, if you can afford it now it will be rubbish. If you can't afford it, it might still be rubbish. If you can pay a Kings Ransom, and be prepared to do a bit of testing, you might find a process that will actually do something useful. Might.....

Tim. (14 years experience of SLA, 6 years of CNC machining and 4 years using a ProJet 3d printer. And 15 years of CAD too!)

Have to agree with Kev too. The other comparison is furniture. Wood working tools these days are pretty damn cheap, but few of us make our own bedside tables. I see things like this as a passing fad, like 3D television.

Have to agree with Kev too.

Me too, all my current production is made ​​in CAD​​, if I wanted to sell my files I could easily do, but after having done it once in the time of a few seconds my work would end on P2P for free.....

Its my thinking too, that all the hype about home 3D printing is one of the many fads, that come as technology advances, and go as those, who dumped their money in the stuff come to the realization that they bought another toy which doesn't really hold what was promised and has little practical use for them. Just another hype followed. And those who are really see it as a useful tool and are willing to overcome the steep learning curve will most likely soon exploit the limits of the system and deem its use a rather limited...

...just as is the case with a lot of tools, kitchen and household helpers most people buy at some point in their life... :)

...at the moment, the first 3D-printer for less than 1000€ is marketed here, and my regular modelling magazine gives the product a raving, pretty uncritical review and make everything look so easy, while computer magazines recommend to invest in products more than twice the price if one has to have one now. Well, little surprising though if you consider who paid the ad on the backpage of the magazine for the last two issues...

When I'm not furloughed I do this stuff for a living as well. The biggest issue is getting quality models to print, not the printers themselves. Eduard, Aires, and Verlinden are all using this technology. Eduard has their act together, the rest.....still cutting their teeth.

Me too, all my current production is made ​​in CAD​​, if I wanted to sell my files I could easily do, but after having done it once in the time of a few seconds my work would end on P2P for free.....

Mate, that would happen at the speed of light. Could you just imagine model clubs and groups all chipping in for a couple of dollars to get the plans for their 3D printable Spitfire, make copies for everyone or print out 25 for your mates. It would be impossible to stop.