the next Tamiya 1/32 kit anounced

ChuckT

Detail differences. The landing light under the left wing was only a very early feature (irritatingly, kept by Tamiya in the -1A/-1D moldings) is one notable one. Later -1Ds had rocket rails, etc. The basic airframe was remarkably similar though.

Not entirely true.... from memory the cockpit was raised a couple inches in the -1A to make it easier to see over the long nose. Whether this difference will eventually be noted in the kit is another story. Granted a couple inches in 1/32 isn't hardly worth noticing but it is a difference between the -1 and -1A and subsequent.

Cool! I hope there are Gyreen decals, and here's to Eli coming up with some great USMC variants. I could see myself having two of these, the bird cage and the later variant, but all USMC Pacific!!! Something from Saipan would be the best, that's where my dad got his Purple Heart.

Edited by Bill Cross

WOOO!!!!!!!!

Did the kiwis ever fly the birdcage? I know we had a birdcage at Wanaka in the 90s in RNZAF scheme but I've never seen info on a wartime bird

No Birdcages for the Kiwi's Mike... you will need to wait for the -1A and -1D

As has been said, I think they were all based in the States for training, had full span wings too.

Oh no friend the -1 birdcage corsairs saw combat in the pacific with the USMC as early as 1943.

Oh no friend the -1 birdcage corsairs saw combat in the pacific with the USMC as early as 1943.

I think he was referring to the FAA F4U-1's but I may be mistaken.

Edited by TimC